nes
Green Thumb

Move over Lawn! It's veggie time.

(Insert evil plan laugh) :twisted: I'm grabbing another 5' section of lawn for the veggie garden.

When I put in the veggie bed I just turned all the grass under about 12" and that worked very well! However, currently being 5 months preggo my condition is not going to be alleviated any time soon & I don't think I have the energy to turn under this next section of garden. Obviously hubby is a good option but he's really busy with his own projects :roll:.

So I understand the black-plastic method but I just don't think I can make it work (there being a toddler/dog issue). What about piling a TON of cow poo on top of the grass? It is 2/3 years old, apparently almost completely soil and about 50' from my veggie garden (our farmer was overjoyed when I asked if I could have some, so I may even be able to snag him between other jobs to run it over with the tractor).

How deep do I need to pile it to kill the grass?

I REALLY want to plant garlic for the winter (sometime very soon) is it going to survive? The poop is not fresh at all so I shouldn't have an issue with burning. I'd better get to work to get that garlic in actually... :?

Also I just put in some transplanted raspberry bushes (not expecting anything from them this year, I'm just hoping they will survive & produce next year) is burying their stems that deep going to be ok?

I also need to figure out where I am going to put the $1 strawberry plants I'm going to the nursery to buy (I'm going to try to overwinter them, somehow).

Of course I also have to move the clothes line, get started on the new fence for the garden, cut down that little silver poplar that is shading my garden... you guys are an terrible bunch of enablers!! :lol:

applestar
Mod

Look up "sheet mulching" and "no-till gardening" in the search box. My favorite method. No digging required. The composted cow manure would be great. Just layer that with fall leaves or straw to balance the green and the brown. You may still have weed seed issues so the cow manure should go under the paper/cardboard layer (actually if you're planting garlic, I'd go with paper so the garlic roots won't hit cardboard and sulk). Don't bother with plastic. Use stuff that will break down into soil.

Actually, straw is probably pretty inexpensive right now after the summer grain harvest. You can use the fall leaves and seed-free grass clipping to top them off later on.

nes
Green Thumb

Ah! Thanks for the help as always apps! :)

I'm actually going to throw the garlic into the current veggie garden, but I'm planning on giving that a good 12" of manure as well (it's not like I'm going to run out! :D It's just a question of getting it that 50'). Actually I've been eyeing my 3' corn (it's so sad!) I think that is coming out to get out of the garlic's way.

I really like the idea of putting down paper or cardboard instead of plastic!! And that's a good use for the 3 community newspapers (and accompanying ads) I get a week.

I can't seem to find a good all encompassing post about sheet mulching (maybe someone should construct a sticky for the compost forum? :)), how deep should I make the mulch?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Mulch DEEP, I just finally put about 4+ inches of mulch around some roses I put in this year some of it was still grass. Well, the grass is starting to poke through and that is after mowing than using a weed eater to mutilate it to dirt. So go DEEP.

Were you talking about using plastic as in solarization, or leaving it on the ground than mulching over it. The solarazition would be good while piling mulch on top would not be good. Solarization --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarization

I'm going to enlarge my garden this year as well maybe not 5 ft but well see how drunk I am when I'm tilling it up, I may till up the neighbors too.
:D

Dono

p.s. Sheet mulching ---> https://www.agroforestry.net/pubs/Sheet_Mulching.html

crobi13

gixxerific wrote:I'm going to enlarge my garden this year as well maybe not 5 ft but well see how drunk I am when I'm tilling it up, I may till up the neighbors too.
Dono, that's priceless!!
If you want more space to till, come on over I want to enlarge my garden, too :lol:

nes
Green Thumb

Thanks for the link Dono! I put hubby on the job! :lol: ( I decided maybe I shouldn`t be pushing around that much dirt right now)

Poor guy...

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

one of these days I'm gonna get around to making the 'food not lawns' tshirt design I've been planning.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

I just had to laugh when I saw the title of this thread. What better way to put it. :lol:

I'm also looking at adding to my garden but my plan is to just make a raised box. Lay down a layer of cardboard and add a mixture of compost and dirt to fill it up some. I know the first year I won't be able to really do a root crop like carrots but after that the cardboard will be gone, grass dead and I'll have me a new garden bed. :wink:

Jewell
Cool Member

Last year I restarted my garden after a five year return to grass. I used the cardboard method Smokensquel mentions and then used regular newspaper layered and any lawnmower chopped tree/hedge trimmings (Never grass clippings unless you want to reseed for a lawn). Later found a reference to Lasagna Gardening, but I know it has several other references that are the same thing.

It sure beat the double digging I used to do. I've had literally no weeds and am continuing to add the chopped trimmings and fall leaves to mulch. If you have the organic matter it is great. I have also started using paper from our home shredder. (Save the colored print paper for flower beds-black ink is vegetable based) It breaks down fairly quickly also.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

nes wrote:Thanks for the link Dono! I put hubby on the job! :lol: ( I decided maybe I shouldn`t be pushing around that much dirt right now)

Poor guy...
No problem glad I could help! :D I would say with what you have to use, you will have no problems having a Super Duper garden next year.

!potatoes! I want one of those shirts. :)

Dono

p.s. Quote: you guys are an terrible bunch of enablers!! Laughing. I hear ya on that, but I guess I'm one of them as well so................

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”