Tammy42

Slugs, near my pea container, have slug killing ?

Was out staking peas last night, and founf five slugs( to fat and happy adults and two babies!!!! Trying to keep these guys at bay, every one is saying beer to kill them, does it have to be beer? We have some homemade wine here can I try to use that, or is it best for beer? Also what kind of container do I put it in so that hey will crawl into it? Can I use like a small cereal bowl, or does it have to be something with a small lip on it? Tammy :(

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

We've had several extensive discussions on snails and slugs. The longest ones (hmmm wonder why...:wink: include my descriptions of "snail hunting"). So, if you do a Search on "snail hunting," you'll be led to the discussions on slug and snail abatement.

I've never used beer, wine, or anything else. What I *have* used is...described in those other threads. I leave nothing to chance.

Here's one of them:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7606

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Havn't read your thread yet Cynthia but I will, as far as the beer I'm sure it works. I have thought about doing it myself we have slugs like crazy here, BIG ones too, like eating size if you were into that. :shock:

I never have set a trap I hear you just put something in the ground they can't get out of, I believe I have heard milk bottles work or even a soup can. Fill them up half way and the fall in and drown.

But just 2 days ago I had some beer cans I threw to side on my patio in the grass. I went to get them the next day and was emptying out the remnants so I can recycle them and what do ya' know 2 little baby slugs came out of one of them. The can only had the little leftover backwash in them and it still attracted them so there must be something to this wives tale.

Dono

Diane
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Havn't read your thread yet Cynthia but I will, as far as the beer I'm sure it works. I have thought about doing it myself we have slugs like crazy here, BIG ones too, like eating size if you were into that. :shock:

I never have set a trap I hear you just put something in the ground they can't get out of, I believe I have heard milk bottles work or even a soup can. Fill them up half way and the fall in and drown.

But just 2 days ago I had some beer cans I threw to side on my patio in the grass. I went to get them the next day and was emptying out the remnants so I can recycle them and what do ya' know 2 little baby slugs came out of one of them. The can only had the little leftover backwash in them and it still attracted them so there must be something to this wives tale.

Dono
Oh it works. My problem this year was the rain. I put out bowls of beer, it rained and diluted the beer. Also the rain seemed to make the slug population explode. I lightly used sluggo and they are not all gone, but my plants don't look like swiss cheese anymore.
I sprinkled it around the outside of my raised bed because I saw them crawl into it from the grass.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Detailed discussion about Sluggo at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14010

Basically, Sluggo is 1% active ingredient, 99% UNDECLARED "inert" ingredients. Do you want to *know* what you're putting down next to your intended food plants? Think about it.

But you *must* read the anti-slug and anti-snail stories in these threads! It really fosters an understanding of what we're all up against, trying to eat some of the food WE have worked to grow! Despite intruders, thieves, and marauders--none of which walk on two legs. *Those* would require completely different approaches...:wink:

Please; you will crack up (I do every time) reading David's story about...the bucket. :lol:

Cynthia

Tammy42

Went to Lowe's today to see if I could find Sluggo and all I could find was a whole bunch of poison in which I can't use beause of dog or bird's and other critters. There was one that was supposedly non poisonous, but was $12.00, still thinking about this though, not quite sure!!! I did put out the wine last night, but it was in little cereal bowls I had. I think the bowls were to big. So today I did some weed pulling as a precautionary so I could see them in the evening when I am out there looking for them!!! Then I had a brainstorm, the six pack alum. foil muffin pans you get at the store, I cut those down to tiny size and put some more wine in it will see what happens( I know I killed every other insect within my yard, they all flew into the bowl, must have gotten thirsty, huh,ha,ha,ha!!!). If not will break down get some beer and worse comes to worse sluggo!!!! As for the count tonight, there were less found only two slimming away tonight!!! Salted them suckers and picked them up in a paper towel and put them the garbage!!!! Also got another idea, if salt kills them why not put salt down around the container, so that's what I did!!!!! Wish me luck on slug hunting tonight!!!! Tammy

Diane
Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:Detailed discussion about Sluggo at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14010

Basically, Sluggo is 1% active ingredient, 99% UNDECLARED "inert" ingredients. Do you want to *know* what you're putting down next to your intended food plants? Think about it.

But you *must* read the anti-slug and anti-snail stories in these threads! It really fosters an understanding of what we're all up against, trying to eat some of the food WE have worked to grow! Despite intruders, thieves, and marauders--none of which walk on two legs. *Those* would require completely different approaches...:wink:

Please; you will crack up (I do every time) reading David's story about...the bucket. :lol:

Cynthia
I don't use chemicals/pesticides. This is the first time in more than 20 years that I did. I learned about sluggo here in this forum and that it was relatively safe. As far as we can tell.
After trying everything (that worked in the past), I chose to use it or not have a garden.
My pepper plants were chewed down to nubs with swiss cheese leaves. I found slugs and snails five feet up on a raspberry cane!
They never before caused so much damage.
I pulled most of my strawberry plants. Why grow them for slugs? Even my hydrangas have holes in the leaves.
I went out in the rain dusk after dusk to kill them and couldn't keep up with them. They move fast and are slippery. :cry:
It's not something I'll use regularly, maybe never again, but this year was the year of the slug.

I read that whole thread and didn't see Dave's story. How did I miss it?

Tammy42

Thanks Diane on the advice for the slugo, think I will mosy down to a local gardening place tommorrow and see if I can't find some. I was at teo places today- Lowe's and Ace Haedware with no luck. I glad I am not the only problem with slug problems, so far so good tonight, only those two. I also did something, and hope it works, is I spread salt around the containers, because I know they don't like salt!!! So far so good!!! Have gone out there a couple of times nothing!!!! I know what you mean about slugs and eating leaves, making them look like swiss cheese!!! While I was staking the peas, I found leaves that looked like swiss cheese!! I don't want themtaking down my 5 foot pea plants!!!! Tammy

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re this: Also got another idea, if salt kills them why not put salt down around the container, so that's what I did!!!!!

Be careful with that. Salt also kills PLANTS! You can sterilize your soil by salting it so that nothing will grow there for a very long time. Obviously a few tiny sprinkles won't do that, but salt in any quantity is very bad for plants.

dan1003

I've had good success with Sluggo. My dog that eats everything has absolutely no interest in it, and he should be ok even if he did eat some of it. I wouldn't worry about the 99% "intert ingredients" I believe it is mostly binder (comes in pellet form) and bait. During a particularly wet spell in the spring, I had literally 10-12 slugs per square foot, and 3 or 4 per leaf. No problems any more.

I got it at a locally run hardware store (Pleasant's Hardware) here that is owned by ACE. If I recall it was about $20 but worth it considering how much time you save vs setting up traps, picking slugs off your leaves, etc. It'll last me a while too.

Good luck.

Tammy42

Rainbowgardener. letting you know my veggies are potted, I have put the salt on the ground- as in grass, so far so good today. went out this morning and found no slugs!!!! Tammy

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Tammy42 wrote:Rainbowgardener. letting you know my veggies are potted, I have put the salt on the ground- as in grass, so far so good today. went out this morning and found no slugs!!!! Tammy
Do you have a concrete patio or something to put them on while salting. Like said above you could cause way bigger problems with salt than than slugs could ever do. :shock:

Be careful

Dono

Diane
Green Thumb

dan1003 wrote:I've had good success with Sluggo. My dog that eats everything has absolutely no interest in it, and he should be ok even if he did eat some of it. I wouldn't worry about the 99% "intert ingredients" I believe it is mostly binder (comes in pellet form) and bait. During a particularly wet spell in the spring, I had literally 10-12 slugs per square foot, and 3 or 4 per leaf. No problems any more.

I got it at a locally run hardware store (Pleasant's Hardware) here that is owned by ACE. If I recall it was about $20 but worth it considering how much time you save vs setting up traps, picking slugs off your leaves, etc. It'll last me a while too.

Good luck.
I also had 3 or 4 per leaf. I have 9 pepper plants in my raised bed. While removing the slugs from each leaf of plants 2-9 I'd see them on plant 1 again. I couldn't keep up and they had all night to eat my plants.
I had to search to find sluggo. All stores had to reorder.
I did a search on it and nothing bad came up.
I mosly put it under pots and planks of wood. Places they hide.
I spent more on beer (which did work when it wasn't raining every day) than sluggo. :shock:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Diane wrote:[I spent more on beer (which did work when it wasn't raining every day) than sluggo. :shock:
Buy more beer and use it on yourself, than the slugs wont be as big of a problem, well at least until the buzz wears off. :lol:

Tammy42

Like that reply gixxerific!!! Unfotunately I don't drink not even beer!!!! Maybe I should take up the habit!!! Was having no problems, because we were having good weather then the rain, showed up yesterday again!!! Either will have to go find some Sluggo or take up drinking!!!!! Tammy

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Go with the Sluggo Tammy it's better for you but not the slugs. I have been following this thread and thinking I know I have slugs, and probably a lot of them. Just haven't gone out at night to see the real infestation in action. I went out this morning to do something and noticed a 3-4 inch slug crawling up my house I dispatched him right before I walked into a huge web. Yeah we have some huge 'ol spiders here as well, lots of them. :shock:

I am going to look for something I can use to do a beer bath for them right now. I have plenty of beer for the lot of us, the slugs and myself. :) I'm interested how many I can get that way. Plus I just put down 50 lbs. of salt in my garden that should get rid of 'em.

Just kidding on the salt that would get rid of my garden as well. :wink:

Dono

I am a bricklayer, we have tons of sand (literally) on the jobsite, I should bring some home for there little soft bellys. :twisted: Plus it will be good for my garden, or should I say clay field. I could make better brick out of my soil than tomatoes. :(

Diane
Green Thumb

Tammy42 wrote:Thanks Diane on the advice for the slugo, think I will mosy down to a local gardening place tommorrow and see if I can't find some. I was at teo places today- Lowe's and Ace Haedware with no luck. I glad I am not the only problem with slug problems, so far so good tonight, only those two. I also did something, and hope it works, is I spread salt around the containers, because I know they don't like salt!!! So far so good!!! Have gone out there a couple of times nothing!!!! I know what you mean about slugs and eating leaves, making them look like swiss cheese!!! While I was staking the peas, I found leaves that looked like swiss cheese!! I don't want themtaking down my 5 foot pea plants!!!! Tammy
I just read the other slug/snail link and someone there posted a utube link about slugs. She is an organic gardener and at the end of her film it said sluggo (and a few others) was approved by the organic garden something or other.

I'm careful about chemicals, even inside my home, so I was happy to see that. If something says fatal if swallowed I never buy it.
All the stores near me ran out because with so much rain the population exploded.
I never see dead slugs. They must sliver off to their hiding places to die.
Tammy, I hope you find some.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”