AODAl
Newly Registered

Green Garden/Grass flies?

Hi! This is my first post, and I'm looking forward to hearing some replies. We just purchased a home a month ago and I'm trying to work with and enhance the small garden that was here. I noticed that 1) our grass doesn't grow. Just the odd weed. Its short and stubby, but mostly green. 2) they had roses here that are flowering, but leaves have holes 3) There is a major pest that I think is contributing to my first 2 points. I think its a leafhopper. Except, it bites and I've read that nowhere. They are everywhere and feels like a mosquito, but no red bump after. They have even stayed on my skin while I walked indoors as opposed to just jumping on and off. Its very small, flea like, very light but fluorescent green. Don't know if it flies or jumps. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I think its rampant and I'm not sure any soap spray would work and besides would I have to cover my lawn with it? Its very irritating when we are outdoors mainly just due to the biting.

Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Biting midges, maybe? They're also known as 'no-see-ums'. The ones around my area tend to be black/dark brown, but I've heard that some are green. They'll breed in rich, moist soil. I know they breed in the soil around my birdbaths. They'll come right through window screens. Nasty little things.

If that's what you're dealing with, they're hard to control. You might find this article of interest:

https://entnem.ufl.edu/creatures/aquatic/Biting_midges.htm

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”