jenandlaw
Newly Registered

Need suggestions for fragrant hedge plants.

I have a relatively large backyard and want screening on the sides from neighbors.

The number one criterion is FRAGRANCE. I would like plants that put off wonderful smells. Flowers aren't necessary if the foliage itself smells good. I would like plants that smell all four seasons if possible. I know there probably aren't a lot of plants that smell all four seasons, so a variety of plants with different smelling cycles would be ok.

I would like a tighter hedge that you can't walk through. I don't mind more than one species as long as it can grow and interweave with other species (like a tapestry hedge).

The facts:
* All plants must be evergreen. Don't want to lose the privacy in the winter.
* I don't mind pruning/trimming every couple of months.
* Would like either fast growers or plants that can be purchased at decent maturity for not much $.
* Ideally I would like a hedge at least 7 feet tall.
* Soil has lots of clay. I could entertain the notion of building up a berm with better soil or building a raised bed (this would decrease the required height of the hedge).
* Area to be covered ranges from full sun to full shade in summer. Full sun in winter.
* Cost is definitely a factor.

Please feel free to ask questions I have not answered. I tried to think of everything you might need to know, but I probably forgot something. Also, if you have some other fragrant privacy idea other than a hedge, please feel free to suggest it.

Reading over this list, I can't imagine that anyone knows of plants that fit these criteria. Any help you can give me, though, is greatly appreciated.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Some mimosa trees are very fragrant in the spring time. They should work.

jenandlaw
Newly Registered

Ok, thank you for the suggestion.... but how do you get mimosa trees to grow in the kind of hedge I described?

applestar
Mod

How WIDE is your proposed planting area? Will it support staggered double row of planting? This will also determine the growth habit of the plans -- most likely shrubs -- vs. tolerance to pruning.

Also, you did say cost is a factor, but an inexpensive but sturdy fence for vines to climb on could be another option.

I always like to recommend a hedge row of native plants that provides habitat for wildlife (food source, cover, and nesting site).

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

One can prune a mimosa into a hedge.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”