kylie77

Eggplant-how many to expect per plant?

I was wondering how many eggplants usually grow on one plant? I'm a bit shocked with my eggplant. It has 14+ buds, and so far every flower has started growing an eggplant. I don't know what kind they are. When I bought the plant at the local market I asked how many to expect and the man told me one or two! This plant is DEFINATELy going to grow more than that! lol Now I have to figure out what to do with them all!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

For me it seems to vary considerably with the variety. My back beauties for example may only produce 6-10 fruit, but the Japanese types produce several dozen fruit in a typical year.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitabi

hey when did u plant your eggplants. I planted mine nearly two months ago but they are still quite small.

kylie77

Great thanks! I had NO idea I'd get anywhere near that many from one plant! Quite excited now! Will need to sort out some recipies.

Hey, can I ask you how long does it take from flower to the fruit being ready to eat?? Just have no idea how long they take to grow! The ones I have growing do seem to be growing quite quickly though!

kylie77

I planted mine about 2months ago as well. I can't remember exactly. I planted most of my garden in the middle of may, but the eggplants I got a good 2-3weeks later at the market.

It's interesting though because I have 2 actually. Both are VERY different. One was planted in the garden in my backyard. Plenty of sun, but not as much as the front. The other one was planted on my front porch in full sun in a container. Guess which one is growing faster?? The one in the container! It's about 3 times the size of the other one. Although... both started flowering at exactly the same time! The smaller plant also has eggplants growing now, just not as many buds. Still though it has about 8 I think. I planted them in different locations mainly to see the differences! I'm new to gardening and have a lot to learn. I'm amazed at the size of the one in the front. It's about 2 and a half feet tall now.

kitabi

thats good man.. I have them in the backyard in the ground with full sun and I provide them plentiful of water but they r taking their time to grow... I have not used any non-organic fertilizer however I have given them organic ones as in cow manure and organic humus and compost. let see how time will it take.

by the way which other crops are you growing?

best of luck for your crops.

razzz8606

make sure you guys with egg plants check your plants for potato bugs ( Colorado Beatles ) they are attacking my friends egg plants eat one almost to nothing but its easy to prevent :) just sprinkle used dry coffee grinds on ur plants they hate the small and taste :) the coffee grids work for them on potato plants 2 :)

kitabi

hey I had that thing attack my plants already.. those stupid creatures ate up my leaves. I had to use pesticide for it. didnt knew coffee could have worked.. uuugghh :x . wasted 5 bucks :(

razzz8606

aww all a learning experience :) but yea coffee works and extra protection for egg plants and potatoes is put straw down all around ur plants it help stop them from commin out of the soil and plus lets moisture in and holds it in 2 :) better then peat moss I find :) ... the only reason I know all this is cuz my dad and grandfather r certified horticulturists :) I'm just a young pup 22 but been gardening my whole life :) I love it

kitabi

thanks for the advice man.. u can be a good source of knowledge for new ppl like me.

razzz8606

anytime :) if u need hlp feel free to send me a private message :) always willing to help :)

kitabi

Hey man,

My small cute little plants are showing improvements but at a very small pace. Do I need to space them or what?

razzz8606

how far apart do u have them now ? id recommend about 8inchs to 1ft between each plant ... before you planted them did u put manure in the soil ? if not id recommend putting some around the plants :)

kitabi

I did not put manure before but I have done so now. of the 4 I planted only two came up and are around 3-4 inches apart.

razzz8606

how long ago did u plant them ? do they have fruit on them now ?

kitabi

nopes, too small.. planted them in late may

razzz8606

alright transplant it and put it about a foot away from the other one :) put make sure u have manure in the soil where u transplant it to :) and watch it take off :) make sure u water it good after u transplant 2 :) if u need help with other veggie garden stuff feel free to ask :)

kitabi

have sent you a private message asking about some crops. please answer when u get time

razzz8606

I'm sorry I havent gotten and private messages :( or I would love to help :)

SP8
Green Thumb

Why not keep the discussion public so we can all benefit from each others knowledge and experience? :?

kitabi

yeah ure right.... :) Can you comment on the topic "fall planting" I have listed a few crops that I have already sowed... I got a comment that they will not survive because they are planted at a wrong time. I don't want them to die is there anything I can do.

SP8
Green Thumb

kitabi wrote:yeah ure right.... :) Can you comment on the topic "fall planting" I have listed a few crops that I have already sowed... I got a comment that they will not survive because they are planted at a wrong time. I don't want them to die is there anything I can do.
As I'm not in America it would be foolish of me to try to make comments on specific optimum planting times sorry.

Hope it all works out though.

kitabi

no problems..

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”