Tammy42

Great news from the tomato garden, have two tomatoes!!!!

Just came back in a little while ago from the garden, was checking on the veggies to see how they were faring with all the rain in the last two days, the tomatoes have really seemes to love the rain, they greened up a whole heck of a lot. Even though I watered them twice a day when it was so hot. They have really started to grow more in the last couple of days. I also fed them yesterday, I think they really loved that!!! When I checked them, I noticed the big tom plant. has two small tomatoes on it and a whole lot more blooms on it!!!! The smaller tomatoe plant has that one the size of half my thumb and it is getting bigger in size!!!! Plus it has a smaller tomato just under it also!!! So it sounds like we are in the tomato business. Can't wait to eat one of those juicy pickens!!!!! :D

applestar
Mod

:clap: :clap:
The LONG daylight sure must help. I wonder if you need to watch out for cracking if they grow too fast? You certainly have unique growing conditions to contend with. Keep us posted. I'm really interested in how things grow in your region. :wink:

Tammy42

Thanks Applestar for all your support!!!! It helps greatly for us first time gardeners. I think it is all the daylight to, even though we are in the rainy season now. That is the hardest problem with veggie gardening here our rainy season in July and August. All though this July has been alot different then most Julys. :D Tammy

jamesy
Cool Member

July here has also been unusual Tammy , miserable and unlike summer , its foggy tonight due to the moisture , loads of rain..blah
Tomato plants like you say seem to have loved it , going great guns ..happy days :)

Tammy42

Know what you mean Jamesy, a totally different July then we usually have, but here we will always take the sun and heat, since usually every July is rainy and wet!!! But can't complain like I said found out yesterday I have two tomatoes on the smaller plant and two small on the big plant. So they are coming along quite well, considering rain. :D Tammy

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I hope I'm not jinxing you, Tammy, but I'm glad the moose didn't eat the tomatoes...*that* would have been criminal, for sure... :x

Hope the violas come back for you very soon, too.

I used to work with a man who had lived in Anchorage. He said that everyone there understands when you're not able to go in to work because you're "moosed in." A moose has decided to lie down/stand/who knows what and block your driveway.

Nothing can be done to move the moose--nothing safe, anyway--so you're just stuck at home. Kind of like "snowed in," but because of moose.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Tammy42

Been there done that Cynthia. 3 or 4 years ago when we first moved into our house here, had just picked up kids from school and had gone somewhere else, we pulled up into our driveway and into our carpor. Here comes our neighbor flying out of her front door into our front yard and into the carport. She came over to tell us that there was a moose laying down in the bushes and the trees right beside where our back door is- and that she had been there for a couple of hours and looked like she was not moving for the night. Well that day I had left my keys to the front door inside the house, so I asked her if I could use her phone to call my husband at work, told the kids to stay in the car don't go anywhere. Went to make the call and came back, to get the kids, si I could call him again. By the time I did this the moose finally had gotten up and mosied on out of the yard!!!! :roll: You didn't jinx me on my garden!!!! O got up this morning and checked out the window to see if anything was laying sideways or on the ground-nothing touched-thank goodness!!!!! :D I did move one of my pepper plants that are producing peppers over there so it could get more sun. Thank goodness it did not come by touch those- Iwould be really steamed!!! :twisted:

jamesy
Cool Member

Tammy42 wrote:Know what you mean Jamesy, a totally different July then we usually have, but here we will always take the sun and heat, since usually every July is rainy and wet!!! But can't complain like I said found out yesterday I have two tomatoes on the smaller plant and two small on the big plant. So they are coming along quite well, considering rain. :D Tammy
My first summer here Tammy was last year , it was in the 90's everyday almost and for long stretches hit over 100 , days at a time it would be red hot out there.
Its so depressing to see it like this , rainy again today and everything wet , grey skys.Its been like this for most of what has passed for summer.

Tammy42

I know what ypu mean Jamesy, it will be like this up until the end of Oct. when the snow flies. All rain and clouds!!!! It's like this every year since I have been here, since 78. :( Tammy

jamesy
Cool Member

Does Alaska get a real 4 seasons Tammy ? Ive seen documentrys shot there and it can be beautiful.
Here we seem to get winter around late december/january which is very disappointing as Christmas has been and gone , who needs snow after that ?
Its annoying , the time for fun and games is by ..really gets to me. :wink:

That can last well into April , serious snow , ice storms , ice rain , ive never seen entire trees freeze before,limbs snapping like rifle shots out there.
We just never got out of the rain this year , 3 days in may I think it was we had temps in the 90's...I thought..ohho , here we go and got all my carefully nurtured from seed plants out into the garden , it doesnt seem to have ceased raining since.

So all that stuff got swamped , ive been doing damage control ever since , sending out reinforcements periodically.Just when I think the weather has changed its like today again..miserable.
For all my effort this year I so far have enough zuchinni to make 1 small bread and 2 small green peppers for a stir fry..sigh..

I keep saying itll warm up out there ..but we are ending july soon..its past the joke now.

Tammy42

Hi Jamesy: Right now we are in our rainy season, this will go until Halloween, with days and nights getting cooler about the end of August. From the end of Aug. up until it snows in Oct. that will be our fall. Once snow falls around Halloween first part of Nov. that starts our winter, we will have days and nights of cold anywhere from freezong to -40--50, but the later is extreme- we did however do that last year which was unusual for here in Anchorage and we went for a good three weeks like that once we got to 0 degrees it felt like a heat wave, it was warm!!! We will have winter and snow up until the first part of May, with frost until Memorial Day, this is why we can't plant anything in the ground until then, because of the frost still. May is mostly our spring, with June , July and the middle part of Aug, being our summer wher we have 24 hrs. of sunlight(after summer solstice is when we start losing daylight and going the other way)Hope you understand this!!! Tammy

jamesy
Cool Member

Good evening Tammy , id forgotten about that ..the Land of the Midnight sun , that must be very strange?
We don't get the all clear for frost until quite well into spring,or what id consider spring anyway.April at the earliest I think.
I don't envy you the cold part,I couldnt be doing with that :) Nice to look at but I don't miss the cold at all.I think the coldest ive ever been in was 26 below a few years back.The citys tidal river had frozen completly , first time in like 130 years,that was Glasgow Scotland , early 90's it would have been.
I thought id cracked it coming to the US , looked forward to long hot summers , I find it ironic the weather is eerily similar to the UK.Last summer was superb though which only makes my misery complete , very frustrating to see a summer go to waste.
I should probably live in Fla or Texas or somewhere hot.

applestar
Mod

Hope you don't mind me joining the conversation here. Jamesy, you must have landed in the corridor stretching from NW Philadelphia through Trenton, NJ that weather systems ALWAYS follows along. Meanwhile across the river in southern NJ, we watch with our finger in our mouths as all the rain and snow passes us by.

Don't worry, last year was pretty much normal for us. Massive drought in July and August until fall rain starts up again in September. That's why some vineyards/wineries do so well around here (unless the rains come early). This years cool spring and rainy summer is most unusual but totally welcome as far as I'm concerned, since I'm not needing to worry as much about watering and I was able to grow the cool weather crops in spring. Watch out! Normally, those 90º days in May WOULD have signaled the abrupt end of spring and coming of summer. You may end up regretting the lack of, and missing, extended Spring weather between Winter and Summer. :wink:

Tammy, around here, we get a period (a few days usually no more than a week or so) of subzero weather (usually night time low of -5~-10, morning temp of single digits or teens) in January or Feb, needing heavy jackets, extra layers underneath, snowpants, etc. Then temps go back to normal hovering around freezing (upper 20's, even occasional day high in low 40's) and things seem (*are* to you!) warm. I'd catch myself handing out a lighter jacket to the kids and stop myself to remember that the *heavier* jacket was what I was giving the kids to wear when temps dipped in the 40's in late Autumn. :roll:

jamesy
Cool Member

Glad to have you Applestar , me and Tammy here are jus'shooting the breeze here waiting on our tomato sandwiches :)

I think you got it spot on where I am , I can be in NJ in around 10-20 minutes so I'm not far from Trenton at all.Ive been a couple of times to the train station there to drop people off going to NY.Maybe it takes longer , its been a while , I'm not that far though.

I got lost one night , the first time late at night coming back alone..in Trenton.Id only been in the US for a few months , people here couldnt believe I had been treated civil and politely in the city when asking for directions that late.Wasnt a problem.

I have to admit I wondered about the dunkin donuts being so busy at midnight though..nobody was eating donuts , just seemed to be a meeting point , on the sidewalk,they werent actually allowed inside.Kinda like a drive thru but it was a walk thru :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”