jesse
Newly Registered

blue lobelia question

I am planning on planting blue lobelia on a slight hill which I would like to use burlap erosion control on. blue lobelia is a crawling ground cover that can be started inside, then planted outside. will the burlap supress the growing of the lobelia or will the plant find where to go on its own. I hope I'm being specific enough, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, jesse

jesse
Newly Registered

a little clarification, its Cambridge Blue Lobelia

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Jesse! Just a couple of notes about "Cambridge Blue Lobelia" itself. It is not a trailing type, but rather grows in a clump about 12 - 15 inches around. It is an annual, but is known to reseed. It also is very dangerous if ingested.

If you plant this plant on your hill with the burlap, cut a hole in the burlap for each plant so that it can get it's nutrients from the soil. They like a ph level of 6.5 - 8. They also need to be watered consistently. Otherwise they will do fine.

If you are looking for a wild spreader that is going to cover your burlap in no time at all and stay that way, "Cambridge Blue Lobelia", although very pretty, is not the plant you need.

Hope this helps! Feel free to get back with other questions anytime! :wink: :wink:

Val

jesse
Newly Registered

thanks val, if I planted them about six inches apart will they grow together and stay that way? I like the lobelia because I read that it can withstand direct sunlight and stay relatively low to the ground. Thanks for the help, jesse

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Jesse, where you at? This is an annual so I'm guessing Cali or somewhere warm. Other wise thias is a replant yearly...

There is a perennial lobelia that looks nothing like the annual so that's why I'm checking...

Scott

jesse
Newly Registered

northern california, about one hour north of san fran

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Should work great for you and the spacing is just right.

The species name is actually Erinus; if you google blue lobelia you get the perennial type (L. syphilitica). I have grown both, and the annual is one of the bluest plants I know. Nice choice...

Scott

jesse
Newly Registered

thanks for the help scott and val, you're the best :D

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Not a problem Jesse - that's what we're here for! Best of luck, and I hope it looks as wonderful as it does in your imagination! :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The BEST... :oops: Can we quote ya? :wink:

Have fun Jesse!

Scott

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”