velvetmoonlight

Which option is better?

I feel overwhelmed/stressed and I just want to get this over with. I have a bare/ugly corner in full sun ,zone 6 (ohio). I am a beginner gardener and want something that looks nice (perennials) and is low maintenance.

Here are my options:
A. Do nothing until next year in spring and it will just look unkempt/ugly until then. We get snow in November.
B. Use either of these plan:
https://www.bhg.com/gardening/plans/easy/beginner-garden-for-full-sun/
OR
https://www.bhg.com/gardening/plans/easy/corner-garden-plan-of-perennials/

Anything I can't find in the plan, either replace with something else or wait til next year to get whats missing.

C. Pick and choose plants I like (full sun, zone 6) and hope it will look good together. (My only concern with this is that I'll end up picking out things that aren't low maintenance or don't go together well.) I can try to look things up as I go but no guarantees I know enough info to keep me out of trouble!)

Being that is July (can still plant perennials right?) and selections might be limited, which option seems better? I desire low maintenance and I don't want to have to redo my corner for a long time. Thanks for your help.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

How about (D) go to your nearest *independent* garden-supply store/nursery and ask their advice for low-maintenance perennials which do well locally?

Independent nurseries usually have staff who are master gardeners or very close to being so and who are *knowledgeable* about local growing conditions.

Take a photo or two of your proposed planting area with you as well.

Fall is often a good time for planting, since the roots can get started but not stressed by hot weather. The nursery staff will help with advice on planting time(s), depth, soil and nutrition needs, etc.

"Low maintenance" is a term used to indicate whether, over its lifetime, a given plant needs lots of attention or not. Every plant needs lots of attention until it's established, which takes two or three years, depending on the plant and the local growing conditions.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”