petunialover

Peppers? when are they ripe?

I'm growing Green peppers and Jalapenos, How willI know when either tytpe is ripe? will they turn red if left on longer?

Thanks in Advance
PL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The greens would turn red if left longer; jalapenos will develop a little more color, but not a full red before they start to go past. My rule of thumb is when they look like the ones in the store, it's time... :wink:

Scott

petunialover

Well all the hot peppers turned red (who knows what kinds they are), except for those the bugs ate, but the green peppers just don't seem to get the big size. Bugs, bugs bugs, 'Course I'm not going to use Any insectacide. I've tried big juice, and hot pepper spray (capsasicum and water) That killed the aphids though. Or maybe just slowed them down.
We are expecting the ladybug horde again any time, but too late and WAAAY too many. I have had a good crop of hjot peppers and pickled them, but I was hoping the green peppers would still bring in a good crop.

PL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I don't know why peppers didn't do as well this year (it's not just you!); I think it was because of the cooler temps in what is usually the dog days of summer...

Anyone else have suggestions?

Scott

Newt
Greener Thumb

I agree that peppers have been slow to develop this year. I'm sure it's the weather. They really like the temps to be hot.

Newt

CrotalusCo
Newly Registered

For Jalapenos I normally pick them when they start turning black "a step before red" or they start to crackle if you get them that big. However when you eat these green they can be eaten at any size I just normally wait until they get large and just before they start to "ripen"

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”