NRB

rooting catalpa cuttings

Has anyone here done this before? I'd like to try it this year.

NRB

[url=https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html]This site[/url]looks like it has some good information on it. This will be my first time propagating hardwoods, but it sure looks easy enough to do.

I have 6 containers filled with a sand/peat/composted manure mix, a plastic enclosure to maintain humidity, Rootone and dozens of possible cuttings to choose from.

My goal is to grow 10-15 in back to replace the few behind the shed that won't be here in another 10 years. The bees seem to like them.

NRB

Got 'em started!

Yesterday morning I planted 18 cuttings, 3 per 10" pot. Each was ~12-15" overall, planted stems coated in Rootone. The larger lower leaves were trimmed off, leaving the top 2/3 - 1/2 above the soil with leaves. They are contained in a plastic-wrapped "greenhouse" to hold moisture, about 2'x4'x 4'tall.

I know wilting is normal, but I wonder if I've trimed enough leaves off. Can I cut off too many?

These should root pretty fast, I just don't want to leave too many leaves on and dry them out.b

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

generally, if you've got small, newly-formed leaves at the apex, everything else can and should go, and will just lead to dehydration if you leave them. it is possible to remove too many leaves, but if you retain the smallest, most recently grown, they'll generally do fine. if the 'youngest' leaves on the cutting are kinda big, sometimes it's even appropriate to cut or rip them in half (I.e. remove the tips) to reduce surface area.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”