Lousmart
Newly Registered

Have I done the right thing?

Hello, I am new to this forum..I have had my 2nd Bonsai tree for almost two years and it has thrived until recently. A few weeks ago all the leaves fell off the outer branches and these branches seemed dried out so I pruned them away. I now have four or five very fresh and green leaves sprouting directly from the trunk which makes me believe the tree is still alive. This morning I have pruned all the branches off and have stood the tree in water and baby bio (which normally gives a new lease of life). Anyone got any ideas or been through something similar? Thanks in advance. Louise

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If your plant has some regrowth on it, I would just leave it be for a while and let it re-establish itself.

Just keep it watered and fertilized with organic fertilizer and wait and see what happens.

Lousmart
Newly Registered

Hello opabinia51,

Thanks for your reply, I will do this. Fingers crossed he will be okay.

Louise

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like a production cycle for bonsai. Really, a lot of commercial trees are really just a bigger tree that gets cut down, root pruned and resprouted. No problems. Select the branches you want (I'd give it a bit; the extra growth helps draw sap and fatten the trunk) and trim the rest. You did good Louise... :D

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”