Tatters
Newly Registered

Sandpaper Fig.

Hey.

I was just going to ask, I have recently purchased a Sandpaper Fig from a good gardening shop and after one day in the sun, its leaves have curled up and become very brittle. The stem itself is still good though.

I have it in Part Sun, along with an Azaela which is going great. Both are Starter Bonsai, as I was wary as these are my first and I didnt want to kill a billion $$$ tree.

I live in Sydney, Australia and it is almost mid-summer now. Could anyone please help?

Thanks

Tatters
Newly Registered

One more thing...

Could anyone give me tips on gorwing these plants?

I have been misting them almost everyday and have skipped watering the azeala as they don't like the water. I know the Fig likes it damp and gorws in the rainforests, but I don't see why its dying.

And could you make the solution simple? (joke)

Its just when your 15, you don't have an ample supply of money around

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Growing a little bush tucker, eh?

That one's native to coastal areas and likes the air a bit damp and the soil a bit dry, but it can take occasional wet, so don't water daily, just keep it moist. Sounds like a Stage Two tree (second layer of canopy) so direct sun might be a bit much, especially in summer. Try some shade at least until it picks up.

Sounds like you are doing right by the azalea; keep up the good work there...

Scott

Tatters
Newly Registered

Well... the fig is still really brittle and all but 3 leaves have fallen off it. And it has been in the shade for the entire time... My dad put it on a step in direct sun and in front aof a glass door. I think it needs a week or two to recover from the intense heat. Thanks for the advice.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Keep that soil moist; often a warm water soak (an hour in water at hand tolerable temp) can help revive dryed out plants. Try that...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”