Melissa
Newly Registered

Walnut tree

Hi there! My question is very similar to Gary's but regarding a walnut tree. I do not know how hardy they are throughout the winter. Should I plant it in the garder, or bring it inside? I live near Vancouver, BC, so our summers are mild, but quite often the temperatures drop below zero. What would you recommend?
Thanks
Melissa

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not knowing which one you have I will assume you have the English walnut (that's the one we eat).

This is a good outdoor plant even up into Oregon, but I think you may be pushing it just a little; this one should probably stay outside for you, but with protection (screen porch, garage, even a cardboard box in a sheltered area). Interesting choice for a bonsai; I suspect you will want to use a little deeper pot than usual as the Juglans family throws a bit of a taproot...

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Here is the question: Will a Walnut bonsai still produce nuts? I am guessing that it would. I might try that with one or two of the trees that I have been growing from seed.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Opa, there is a tradition of fruited trees in bonsai (usually quince or apricots) but here's the rub; the fruit does not miniturize. So now we have a very small plant supporting full sized fruit, fruiting being the most stressful thing a plant does on it's own. Usually when fruit is left on a bonsai it is a single, prominately displayed fruit. I'd be careful about letting it go totally to fruit...

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Okay, maybe I'll just sacrifice one of my Walnut seedlings for bonsai. One nut would make a very nice looking addition to the tree. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”