mheiderscheit

Hens and chicks

I found a container of Hens and chicks pushed way back in a secluded area. It had been there for over a year and the plants are still alive!!! I am going to plant them now--hope I don't lose them. I have heard they do well in rocky areas with little soil. Any information on these plants and how to plant them would be greatly appreciated.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

It's a succulent so it would prefer a sandy soil vs a clay, rich dirt soil. They need water but can dry out. I live in SoCal and have a part of my back yard that serves as my cactus garden which has a few cactus and succulents. If memory serves me correctly, hens and chicks like to receive water in the middle of the plant as well as from the soil.

Post some pics of your find... :wink:

plkelly

My favorite way to plant these is in strawberry pots--the kind of pot with holes up the whole vertical sides of the pot. They do great, and some years I've even had them get so big that they almost completely cover the planter.

I move them inside or into the garage in the winter, water occasionally, and plunk them outside the next spring. They recover quickly and even sometimes grow 'roosters'--the long shoots with flowers.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My little batch of hen and chicks is about to bloom! :D

I left it outside all winter, but I snuggled it up to the foundation on the south side of my house. When it finishes blooming, I need to repot it into a larger container, or else put it directly in the ground. It would probably like being in the ground back in the old dog run area, where it's mostly just sand and gravel. :)

Haesuse

I just got done taking the 10 chicks my hen had, and putting them all in individual 2" pots. they are all doing very well, and seem to have started their rooting.

:)

stephaniebw
Newly Registered

My 99 yr old great aunt gave me a pot of Hens & Chicks. As far as we can figure, it's at least 56 years old. She took it with her to Indiana when she moved from Tennessee in 1956. I brought it back to Tennessee with me and it has TAKEN OFF!! It's growing like crazy! It has SEVEN hens!! I wish I could upload a picture of it share!!!
Can someone tell me if I can upload a picture to this site.

Haesuse

How to post images:

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724[/url]

stephaniebw
Newly Registered

[url=https://img208.imageshack.us/I/41798036.png/][img]https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3994/41798036.th.png[/img][/url]

This is my Hens 'n Chicks plant. It's about 56years old!

Haesuse

holy moses that's awesome. absolutely beautiful.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”