freedhardwoods

My son is back on duty already

My son is in the army and has been in Iraq for a few months. Four weeks ago he was on patrol with several others. Two men jumped out of a car. The first started filming with a camera, and the second got out with a rifle and shot my son in the back of the head. The helmet stopped 99% of the impact and he only recieved a deep gash and a concusion.
The shooter got away. :x :x :x

My son is a pretty big guy. When he got hit, my son thought one of his buddies had hit him from behind trying to goof around and he was mad. When he turned around and saw nobody was close to him he realized he had been shot. That is when he felt the blood running down his head, he shouted that he was hit and ran for cover.

They took his helmet to study it, but he is supposed to get it back to keep. 8) 8) 8)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I am **sooo** sorry! and he's already back on duty...:roll: talk about someone who needs an R&R furlough and who has definitely earned it...:shock:

Any head injury carries the risk of trauma to the brain (I've had a few concussions). If he notices visual disturbances, depth-of-field disturbances, new and strange reactions to heat or (unlikely in Iraq) cold, or walking/balance problems, please recommend that he be evaluated by a doctor who is up to date on brain trauma injuries.

I'm a quilter as well as a gardener. There are many quilt projects focused on our troops abroad. There are also "care package" projects, letter-writing projects, "cool-tie" makers, and other endeavors which weren't undertaken even as recently as the Kuwait 1991 War.

I know that gardening can help soothe the soul, but contact with people working in one or more of the support projects may also help. Please also ask your son if he has yet received anything from one of these projects. Blue Star Mothers are generally aware of what's happening in their region; I can also put a list together here of websites where people can help.

None of these efforts is tied to a specific political outlook; all are focused on the well-being, health, and happiness of our military, whether serving or (sadly) injured.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Cynthia H.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Wow, an up close and personal story. Thanks for sharing.

I so appreciate all our troops risking their lives and fighting for our country over there but I wish they could all come home now. :roll:

freedhardwoods

cynthia_h wrote:Please also ask your son if he has yet received anything from one of these projects.
I don't know that he has recieved anything from those specific groups, but there are several local people and groups that send things.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

FHW, I'm glad your son is ok. It sounds like the insurgent was one lucky duck to not have a close encounter with your son afterwards. Give him a hug and a thank you from all of us when he comes back home.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Glad your son is doing well. Thanks to him and all the other men and women that are fighting for our country. God Bless them and their families!

freedhardwoods

Thank you for all the replies.

pepper4
Green Thumb

It's thanks to men and women like your son that make it possible for us to celebrate this day! Happy July 4th!

Diane
Green Thumb

I'd like to thank your son for his service. Two of my sons were in Iraq for a year at the same time.
Cythia is right about getting checked out. My son was in an IED attack. He went right back to duty like your son. Soldiers are like that. They worry more about their buddies than themselves.
When he got home he got a very good check up for his head injury, that he didn't know he had. He thought he only lost some hearing.
I can imagine what you're going through. It changes you forever.
Thank You also. And Godspeed on your son's safe return home.

Striferitus
Cool Member

:( close call but good thing he is alright. :D as for me just joined the marines and getting ready for boot camp the straight over seas for me :roll:

Diane
Green Thumb

I wish you the best Striferitus.

freedhardwoods

Striferitus wrote::( close call but good thing he is alright. :D as for me just joined the marines and getting ready for boot camp the straight over seas for me :roll:
Good luck!

Striferitus
Cool Member

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”