kitaweihert
Newly Registered

Odd Mushrooms found in my Lawn

I was walking around my backyard and found a strange mushroom bundle. I am unsure what to do or if they are positions... I have an Infant son, and 3 dogs playing in that yard.

Can anyone tell me what they are called?

They are a tealish gray color with a yellowish white tip( kinda looks like a pimple)

I have pictures just not sure how to put them on here... :?

kitaweihert
Newly Registered

[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/kita_517/001.jpg[/img] [img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/kita_517/002-3.jpg[/img]

Safegyde
Newly Registered

No offense, and this being my first reply before even my first question I hope I don't offend. But when it comes to something as serious as possible liver failure in your children because you didn't get rid of some poisonous mushrooms because of lack of proper identification techniques then I don't hold back. I hope you understand. Playing with mushrooms is something that I am going to make sure my child understands is not allowed. There are many that look fine and are not, and vice versa. If you really want to know then pick up a field guide and take a spore print. Never take someones opinion on a mushroom from a picture alone! It's just bad practice. Liver failure leads to death!

mamataylor
Newly Registered

kitaweihert, I have the same mushrooms and was on here looking for an answer also. Safegyde, many people are on here looking for mushroom identification and it seems to me kitaweihert was looking BECAUSE of safety concerns! Of course the info we get from here may not be the end all for an answer, but it's a start and all answers have to start from somewhere!
I live in CT if someone who can identify this needs that info!

:D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's a site focused on Florida:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/DDIS3

But it's probable that other states' county extension services will also provide mushroom identification and/or refer residents to experts in the field.

Northern California can *reliably* count on three or four families each year, primarily during January through March, being taken to an emergency room due to mushroom poisoning. :x :( It's generally a grandparent/grandchild combination due to local mushrooms resembling those the older person knew in another country *or* another part of this country. Wanted to take the kid(s) out for a nice day and... It's really sad and totally preventable. And we're not talking about toddlers. These are usually kids from about 6 y.o. to maybe 16 y.o.? The ages that grandparents *want* to take out for a day in the countryside.

I hope you get a firm identification on these fungi maybe as soon as tomorrow morning! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Safegyde
Newly Registered

I understand that people are coming here to help with identification of mushrooms. And getting a helpful hint as to what kind it might be is always useful. But like you said, mamataylor, it cannot be the end all be all. It should always be only a starting point. The final word on what mushroom you are about to eat or feed to your children, or even allow them to touch should always come from a spore print and a close examination with a microscope. We are not talking about wrong identification of a type of tomato plant. This would be like asking someone to guess what gas is in a balloon before you inhale it. The wrong choice leads to death, not just a different taste in your mouth. Once again, hope I didn't offend.

jnorthview
Newly Registered

I found those mushrooms in my yard too. has anyone been able to identify them???????????? if so please let me know what kind they are and if they are toxic/poisonous. Thanks!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”