garybingham
Newly Registered

a new member needs a little help

I got a temple tree last week, its 3 years old and I can start to train it in the spring but how can I train it into shape this is my first tree

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would suggest first reading all the bonsai information on this website and then getting yourself a good bonsai book.

I actually bought two when I first started and I read every book in the public library that I could find.

If there is such a thing offered in your area; a bonsai course is also beneficial.

Training starts with pruning, then wiring and so on.

garybingham
Newly Registered

I have read all the info on this site I was wanting to know from ppl who have done it before and not just from a sheet

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Gary,

Couple of things here. I'm not sure what a temple tree is; a style? a species? So I'm confused there.

Secondly you ask about training it but don't list a style or offer a picture of the tree, so I'm a little at a loss there as well. Most trees can be trained in a number of different styles, and any single tree usually suggests one or another style, so to offer training advice without knowing 1) the species and 2) the specifics of that particular tree and 3) where you want to go with it, and you can begin to see why offering said advice might not be just counter-productive, but detrimental to your tree.

Glad you read the articles on the site; that's a great starting point, as we can now share a lexicon of what you want to do. What style are you interested in? And is there any chance at finding out the species? Or sending us an image that we could I.D.? That would give a much better place for us to start from...

Thanks for the question; we'd love to help. Help us help you :D

Scott

garybingham
Newly Registered

I am sorry I don't have a digital camra so I cant post and pics. the tree is from a mail order catalog and was said to be a temple tree so I think that was its name and as for style I am not to shure were to go with it yet the main thing I wanted to know was if anyone else had one too

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Gary, temple tree can describe frangipani, but I am not sure. Here's a site or two for description; let me know if this is it...

[url]https://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Apocynaceae/Plumeria_acutifolia.html[/url]

[url]https://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1142/[/url]
[url]
https://coolexotics.com/plant-412.html[/url]

Hope these help...

garybingham
Newly Registered

I looked on the links and it sounds nothing like my tree sorry. thanks for the help I will try toget a pic as soon as I can and thanks again

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Gary. Sorry this wasn't as easy as you thought it might be, but guessing about this stuff could be even more stressful when you kill a tree based on bad advice...We'll keep an eye out...

HG

garybingham
Newly Registered

I am hopeing to lend some books on the care of bonsi trees so when I do I will try to find out what it is I then let you all know.

thanks again
Gaz

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

We'll be here...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”