GTG
Newly Registered

Advice needed for creating a natural screen/border... please

I live in a first floor purpose built maisonette of a block of four I.e. there are two ground floor maisonettes and two on the first floor in the block. My garden is at the front of the building and is the width of half of the block to coincide with the width of the maisonette. (The rear garden belongs to the neighbour below me).

My garden is lawned and open plan, it extends from the building to the street only separated by the pathway which runs a long side the road. There are no fences or borders separating it from the pathway or the neighbours adjacent gardens.

The garden has always just been a lawn and has never been used for anything because of the lack of privacy. I would like to change this by creating a natural screen/border so we can make use of it for recreational purposes. It would have to be about 2 metres in height.

My question is what would be best to plant or preferably buy fully grown to create a low maintenance, low cost and pleasing to the eye screen/border?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are you allowed to put up fence or trellis? To create much privacy strictly with plantings will be a several year project at best, assuming you spend money to buy good sized shrubs or trees. If you can put up fence and/or trellis and then just do plantings to soften/ naturalize it, it can be a lot quicker. Are there any limitations on what kinds of things you can plant?

Are you talking about screening around three sides of your garden area or just screening it from the street (I'm assuming that would be the short side of the rectangle?) or ?

Lots of us are in the US and don't know your climate very well. How cold does it get in winter?

GTG
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Are you allowed to put up fence or trellis? To create much privacy strictly with plantings will be a several year project at best, assuming you spend money to buy good sized shrubs or trees. If you can put up fence and/or trellis and then just do plantings to soften/ naturalize it, it can be a lot quicker. Are there any limitations on what kinds of things you can plant?

Are you talking about screening around three sides of your garden area or just screening it from the street (I'm assuming that would be the short side of the rectangle?) or ?

Lots of us are in the US and don't know your climate very well. How cold does it get in winter?
A fence or a trellis would n't be a problem, it's the intial expense and maintenance I'm not to keen on. The trade off is the waiting is for the plantings to grow I suppose so if the only quick solution is the fence or trellis then I'd have to settle for that.

There are no limitations as to what I can plant and you're correct the screening would be for three sides of the garden. In winter we very rarely go below -3C, we do get snow but not very often and it does n't normally hang around for long. I'm 17 miles from London.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”