opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

TONS OF GREAT RECIPES

Though it would be pertinent to have a RECIPE post in here.

Here is what I do with my Sweet dumpling squash:

1) Cut in half and remove seeds (wash, dry and save for next years crop and for seed trading)

2) brush flesh with olive oil

3) sprinkle with cinnamon

4) Add finely chopped Parsley and spread with hands over flesh

5) Add some finely chopped bosc pear and halved yellow and red tomatoes

6) Optional: grated cheese of some sort (chedder, gruyere, Gouda, etc)

7) Bake in oven on a cookie sheet at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

For Sunshine Squash:

Ingredients:

1 Sunshine Squash
1-2 onions (diced)
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
fresh basil (or dried if you don't have the fresh stuff)
Olive Oil
chili peppers (dried) (Optional)

1) Peel the squash with a potatoe peeler (place peelings in the compost pile)

2) chop squash into cubes. (freeze half and use other half for recipe)

(save seeds for next years crop and seed trading)

3) Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sized pot and once hot, add onions and garlic. Over medium low to medium heat; saute the onions and garlic until onions are transluscent.

4) add the squash and saute in onions for about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper

5) Add water to fill pot. Reduce heat to low, cover and set aside to simmer for several hours.

Oh! I almost forgot. Add one large Russet or if you have them; a larger p Purple potatoe.

6) Watch the soup and stir occasionally. After about an hour, use potatoe masher to mash the squash and potatoe.

7) The soup will very slowly thicken and become nice and velvety. In the last 10 minutes add a sprinkling of chili peppers.

Serve the soup with the basil as a garnish.

(the peppers really make the soup, it just gives it that extra KICK! Really good.)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I can't believe that no one has any recipes to share with everyone.

Squash Bread (Pumpkin, Butternut, Sunshine Squash, Hubbard, whatever you like!)

Pretty simple:

3/4 cup warm water
2 tbsp active yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 egg (beaten)
1 squash (baked a mashed)
1 onion (finely diced or pureed)
Cinnamon
2 cups AP Flour
3-6 cups Whole Wheat Flour

Sprinkle the yeat over the water (in a large bowl), sprinkle the sugar over the yeast. Let sit for about ten minutes. (Should turn to a nice frothy...froth)

Add all ingredients except the flour and mix thoroughly. I personally like a lot of Cinnamon but, to each their own. Slowly add the AP flour and stir until a batter forms (you may need to add some more warm water). Now, add the Whole wheat flour and knead until the dough stops sticking to your fingers.

Cover with a damp tea towel and let rise for one hour. Punch down, redampen tea towel and let rise another hour. Knead for five minutes. Let rise another hour.

Place dough on a floured surface and roll out to about 1-2 inch thickness. (sprinkle some flour or corn meal under the dough) Cover with damp tea towels and let rise for one hour.

Cut out little nuggets using a drinking glass as a cookie cutter.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Opa, I promise a recipe to make good use of that fall glut of 'maters. Have it here soon...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoe Sauce from Seeded Tomatoes:

Yes, when collecting seeds from tomatoes: All of these lovely tomatoes (minus the pulp and seeds) are thrown out and totally wasted. Even if they end up in the compost pile.

So, on Saturday I had a revelation: Make tomatoe sauce from them!

Just throw the used tomatoes into a pot while your are collecting the seeds.

Next, fill the pot with water, add a clove or two of crushed garlic and bring to a boil.

Simmer for an hour and add a tea bulb filled with your favourite herbs. I used Rosemary, Parsely and a few others whose names escape me. Let the brew simmer for another hour and remove the bulb.

Simmer for half an hour and add one finely chopped onion.

Simmer for another hour and you have lovely tomatoe sauce!

Grey
Greener Thumb

Okay, here's my fave fresh-from the garden recipe:

10 tomatoes, cut up, peeled
2 onions, chopped
few fresh Basil leaves, minced
box of farafalle or garden pasta

sautee the onion in 2tbsp butter (or olive oil) until golden. Add the tomatoes and basil, cook until it smells so good you just cannot wait any longer. Toss on top of the cooked pasta. YUM!!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Roasted Potatoes:

4 fingerling Potatoes
2 Yukon gold potatoes
2 Red potatoes
2 yellow tomatoes
1 Onion
1/2 rutabaga

(I squeeze the seeds out of the tomatoes first and save them for planting/trading)

Coarsely chop the potatoes, onion and rutabaga and place in a bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and toss until all vegetables are coated with oil. Sprinkle with Italian spices and some garlic (I have dried minced garlic but, choopped, powdered, etc will do) and salt and pepper. Toss. Finally, cut the tomatoes into thirds and lightly toss them with the root vegetables.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. (OH MY GOODNESS! AMAZING! :shock: The roasted tomatoes make the dish!)

Incidentally, if you have a hunter in your family and have access to Moose. This dish goes really well with marinated moose steak or roast.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

This isn't exactly a vegetable, but it's a recipe, so it's half right!

BUG-A-BOO APPLE BUTTER

- Peel and core apples, and chop into small pieces.
- Cook on the stove with a small amount of water until mushy. You can use a potato masher to speed this along.

- Place apple mixture in cheese cloth and drain as much juice out as possible. All you want is very solid pulp left. Use the remaining juice for jelly or drinking.

- Then mix 3 cups of apple pulp, 3 cups of sugar (I use a little less), 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon each of cinnamon, allspice and cloves, or to taste.

- Cook this together until boiling. Depending on what texture you want your butter to be, you can put it in the blender for a couple of whirls if you want it smoother.

- Then put into hot, sterile jars, and process.
- This makes 4 pints exactly!!

Very Yummy!!! Enjoy! 8)

Val
Last edited by grandpasrose on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Wow, thanks Val! I've always wanted to know how to make apple butter and with all the apples that I have access to in the fall..... GREAT!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

It's a great way to use up all those apples we get on our trees every year and would never be able to eat as fast as they come! Hope you like it! :wink:
Val

underthemagnolia

Here's one of my favorite uses for tomatoes:

Alton Brown's Panzanella

1 quart of 1-inch French Bread Cubes, dried, preferably overnight
6 Thick Slices Bacon, Cut Into 1-inch Pieces, cooked, drippings reserved
2 Cups Halved, Seared Grape Tomatoes
2 Cups Halved Pear Tomatoes
2 Cups Chopped Romaine Lettuce

Dressing (whisk together the following ingredients)

3 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper

Garnish:

Mint and Basil leaves chiffonade (sliced into fine ribbons)

Start by cutting a quart of one-inch bread cubes. Let these dry uncovered overnight. Then cook six thick slices of bacon. Drain them and cut them into one-inch pieces. Then add the hot drippings to the bread. Yum. Now while that soaks in, sear two cups of halved grape tomatoes in a hot baking pan face down. It'll take 5 minutes or until caramelized.

In the meantime, place bread, lettuce and pear tomatoes in salad bowl. Add seared grape tomatoes and toss with dressing. Garnish with chiffonade of basil and mint leaves.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Under,

thanks for the recipe, it sounds absolutely devine! I look forward to trying it once my tomatoe plants are producing this year.

underthemagnolia

Thanks Opa.

BTW, I saw a small error in my recipe. How can I edit my post?

FWIW, I love to cook. If you tell me what you're harvesting in any given week I can give you at least a couple of recipes to use.

Pixie

FairyDust
Cool Member

Here's a "healthier" version of chicken parmigiana

6 large tomatoes
2TB Italian Seasoning Mix
1TB Garlic
1/4 cup diced Onion
1/2tp original Tabasco sauce
1TB Olive Oil
4 Chicken breasts pounded thin (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch)
4 to 8 slices of Mozzarella cheese (depending on the size of the chicken breasts)
1/2 box (or bag) Whole What Spaghetti Noodles

Place tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute. Let cool and then peel off the skin. After peeling tomatoes chop them up and place in pot. Add the italian seasoning, garlic, onion and tabasco sauce. Let simmer on medium low stirring ocassionally for roughly 20 minutes. Reduce heat to right above low and all to simmer for another 30 to 40 minutes until all the herbs, onion, tomato, garlic and tabasco flavoring has blended completely.

While the sauce is cooking put the oven on broil. After about 10 to 15 minutes of hving it on broil place the pounded chicken breasts on a cookie sheet and in the oven for 15 minutes.

Once the sauce is done place in the blender for 5 seconds. Spoon the sauce over the cooked chicken breasts. Place the slices of mozzarella over chicken adn put back in the oven for 30 seconds roughly to melt the cheese.

Now about 20 minutes before dinner will b done you need to start the water for the pasta and cook it according to the direction on the box or bag.

I'm sure my directions suck, but I hope everyone gets the idea. I am awful at trying to write recipes. I love fresh tomatoes though and I make all my sauces from fresh tomatoes. Just tastes so much better.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Fairydust, my mouth is watering whilst reading over all these recipes.

underthemagnolia

I harvested some Romaine Lettuce to make this last night:

Pixie's Orange Almond Salad

Dressing:

1 shallot
1/3 c. vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. dry mustard
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 c. olive oil
1 1/2 t. poppy seeds

I use a stick blender, put all these ingredients in the cup and blend. If you do not have an immersion blender, chop fine or grate the shallot and add vinegar, sugar, mustard stirring to dissolve sugar as much as possible. Then while whisking, dribble in the oil a bit at a time until all is blended. I don't always use all the oil as I like my dressing tangy.

This recipe makes enough dressing for two salads and will keep in the fridge for at least a week.

Salad:

1 large or 2 small heads of romaine lettuce
1 large or two small cans of mandarin orange, drained
1/4 c. almond slivers, toasted
1 c. croutons, preferably homemade, but Chatham Village large cut croutons are a good substitute.

Toss the greens with a little bit of the dressing, then add the organges, almonds and croutons, reserving just a few almonds and croutons for sprinkling on the top. Add more dressing and toss. Garnish with reserved almonds and croutons.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sounds delicious! Thanks Under.

So, your harvesting lettuce this early in the season? That's preety cool. Did you grow Romaine lettuce as a winter lettuce? I didn't know that you could do that.

underthemagnolia

These were 3 inches tall starts when I put them in about six weeks ago. I pulled this one up because it was too close to another and I wanted to give the other one room to go to full size. I'll see if I can't take a picture for you.

We had a very mild winter/early spring here. I did a lot of putting things out in the day and bringing them in at night. We got a big cold snap the third week of March and I thought I'd lose all my lettuces but nope.

Here we have a problem with the heat, so I like to get as much lettuce going as quickly as possible, I start seeds in two week intervals, and alternate between romaine and buttercrunch.

Pixie

AngryItalian

well wht kind of cook would I be if I didnt contribute any recipe?
here's a simple recipe for peperonata, an italian pepper stew

2 medium yellow bell peppers
2 medium red bell peppers
2 medium green bell peppers
Note: ive done this using any kind of sweet pepper like lipsticks and such
2 white or yellow onions
8 to 8 roma tomatoes (depends on size) or heirlooms (they work great too)
chopped garlic to taste
1/2 a jalapeno chopped (or more if you like the heat)
1/2 cup of chopped fresh oregano and basil
salt, pepper and olive oil

-remove seeds and membranes from peppers and cut into strips
-slice the onions
-cut the tomatoes into chunks (they don't need to be perfect since they'll break down as they cook)
-chop up the garlic and the jalapeno
-chop up the herbs
-in a pot drizzle some olive oil and toss in peppers, onions, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno and season with salt and pepper
-cook covered on low heat until everything starts simmering
-at that poin, remove the lid and stir occasionally and let it cook on low heat until the stew gets that nice and thick and rich consistency
add the herbs at the end

this is a great side to meat and chicken; as a variant, you can add potatoes to this to make it a little hartier.
enjoy!!

stantheman
Newly Registered

Well sadly I don't really know any recipies (that's sort of my wife's department) but I do know I'll be trying some of these.

I'm particularly keen to try orange almond salad.

My only question is- who's Pixie? :)

underthemagnolia

Hi Stan,

I'm Pixie.

Hope you enjoy the salad!
Last edited by underthemagnolia on Mon May 22, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Made some lovely salsa last night from:

1 bunch green onions
1 lemon boy tomatoe
1 beefsteak tomatoe
1/4 chili pepper, seeds removed (wash your hands after handling the pepper! Use soap and water)
a bit of olive oil

I chopped the tomatoes and onions a bit and just threw everything in the food processor and pulsed it several times. Very nice.

Guacomole

1 ripe Avacadoe
1 semie ripe Avacadoe
some green onions (chopped)
Juice of half a lime
Juice of half a lemon

Into the food processor and pereed. YUMMY! The semi ripe Avacadoe gives the Guacaomole a nice texture.

underthemagnolia

"Cutie-ni"

1 medium Cucumer, peeled and cut into chunks
3/4 c. Skyy Melon
1/4 c. fresh lime juice

Peel the cucumber, slice into quarters, and remove the seeds. Process with a stick blender. Add Skyy melon and lime juice. Shake with ice and strain into martini glass.
Garnish:
Float a paper thin slice of cucumber on top and place a wedge of lime slice on the rim of the glass.

This martini is quite refreshing and just in time for the hot weather and ripe cucumbers in the garden. I had really great cucumber martinis at a place called "Bovines" in Myrtle Beach last year. That drink had mint in it and was delicious. Need to experiment and try and recreate it.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That sounds divine, thanks under!

underthemagnolia

I made this for dinner last night. Yummy beyond belief. I'll be making it again as it's the perfect dish for a hot summer day. In the future I may add some shrimp or chicken just to fill out the meal a bit. As it was I served it with a crostini with goat cheese and it was great. (All the veggies except the tomatoes and garlic came from my garden... a great satisfaction for someone who's never had a real vegetable bed before!)

Moosewood Gazpacho

4 c. cold tomato juice
1 small well minced onion
2 c. freshly diced tomatoes
1 c. minced green pepper (I used yellow)
1 t. honey
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 diced cucumber
2 scallions, chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon & 1 lime
2 T. wine vinegar
1 t. tarragon (dried)
1 t. basil (dried)
dash ground cumin
1/4 c. freshly chopped parsley
dash tabasco sauce
2 T. olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients, chill for at least 2 hours.
This soup can be pureed, if desired.

(I pureed it in 2 batch, using half the tomato juice in each batch and then pouring it into a tall pitcher to mix & chill.)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Great! The more recipes the better.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Fall Roasted Vegetable Puree

Ingredients:

1/4 of seeded pumpkin
1-2 apples (spartan, Royal Gala, Granny Smith, ect)
(Just cut the core out)
1 yam
Oil (Olive, Canola, Peanut; whatever suits your fancy)
Cinnamon

Line a roasting pan with tin foil.

Lay one quarter of a seeded pumpkin (I used a white pumpkin from my garden) face up on the foil and brush with oil and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Cut up several apples and lay them face up in the pan

Bake with one Yam (outside the pan) at 350 for 30 minutes to 60 minutes.

Use a spoon to remove the pumpkin and place in food processor. Add apples and scoop out yam and add that as well. Add a few dashes of milk and pulse into incoporated.

TO DIE FOR!

Biscombe

Heres one If you still have some chillis to harvest!!

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

2 ounces fresh red chilies, roughly chopped (remove seeds if less heat is desired)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
4 ounces sultanas, chopped (white raisins)
1-2 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)

1 1/1. Place chilies in a food processor with half the vinegar and process until the chilies are finely chopped.
2. Do not be concerned if the chili seeds remain whole.
3. Combine the chili and vinegar mixture with the remaining vinegar, and all other ingredients, in a small stainless steel saucepan (take care adding the salt- you can always add more later if you wish).
4. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil briefly, then reduce temperature to allow the mixture to simmer gently until the chilies and sultanas are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. When cool, puree until almost smooth.
6. Pour into a suitably sized sterilised bottle and seal.

garden girl
Cool Member

MMMMmmmmmm....I've already started way tooo many seeds, but these recipes are making me want to plant more!!! Talk about motivation to get outside!!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Feel free to post any recipes that you invent when harvesting your tomatoes GardenGirl!

In fact, last night I couldn't resist and bought a dosen tomatoes from a local farm and made this recipe:

8-12 tomatoes
2 cloves of crushed garlic
1 onion
1 tsp tandoori spice
1 small zucchini
8 mushrooms
1 smokey or other sausage
6 or more shelled prawns
other seafood?
Really nice olive oil
Truffle Oil (hard to come by but, when you find a bottle, purchase it and use a little bit at a time, very pungent and VERY expensive but, oh so worth it)
Canola oil

Place about a tablespoon or more of the Canola oil in a pot and place the garlic in the oil on low heat and cover. Allow the garlic to infuse the oil with flavour for about 10 minutes

Chop the onion and add it to the pot along with a few drops of truffle oil and a teaspoon of the olive oil. Add the tandoori spice. Sweat the onions until transluscent.

Cut the tomatoes into quarters then cut each quarter in half. Place tomatoes in the pot, add some salt and pepper and raise temperature to medium low to medium(alternate between the two tempuratures as needed). This will take about half an hour to an hour. The tomatoes will cook down to a stew

About halfway through the cooking process add 2/3 of the zucchini (chopped) and half of the chopped mushrooms.

Once the sauce has cooked for half an hour to an hour, place in a blender or food processor and puree. Add back into pot and chop the sausage up, add this to the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes, add the rest of the mushrooms and zucchini and simmer for 10-15 minutes, finally add the prawns and simmer for about another 5 minutes.

Serve with whole grain fussili or Rigatoni pasta.

tiggs&oscar

Opabinia51,

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Roasted Potatoes:

4 fingerling Potatoes
2 Yukon gold potatoes
2 Red potatoes
2 yellow tomatoes
1 Onion
1/2 rutabaga

So many lovely recipes here, this is one of yours. What is rutabaga so I can try this?

Although as a vegan I may skip your suggested accompaniment of moose!

TO

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sorry for the delay of my response to your post: Rutabaga is root vegetable that is very high in nutrients.

Go to www.wholehealthmd.com and use the search engine within the site to look rutabaga up, this will give you an excellant descritiption of what rutabaga is, it's nutrient content and ways to cook it.

Rutabaga is VERY good for you, high in nutrients and just tastes great.

Midnight Gardener

This is a recipe I make when the beans and corn come in the garden:

Ingredients:

4 cups shelled butter beans
4 cups shelled black eyed peas
4 to 8 ears of corn, shuck and break each ear in half
1 large onion
2 to 3 cloves of garlic
2 medium or 3 large ham hocks
1 large pot of water
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Dice onion and garlic, put into pot of water with the ham hocks. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour. Add beans and peas, if water does not cover beans and peas add a little water until it does. Simmer for 45 minutes. Add corn at last 15 minutes of cooking. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice or fried cornbread. Enjoy!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Mmmmmm, your own version of succotash; sounds simply devine. Thanks!

Pepper

Good Morning All,

Having returned to the vegetable garden after 20 years I look forward to these recipes:

Pick and chill large, perfectly ripe tomato.
Retrieve after chilling, slice approx. 1" thick.
Delicately salt, black pepper to taste.
Slice and eat like a steak.

One more.

Boil salted water in a large pot. Place butter salt & pepper on the table.
Pick white sweet corn, shuck on the way to the pot.
Boil briefly, just until the milk in the kernels is hot.
Apply butter, salt & pepper to taste.
Eat immediately (then wash my face).

Share both rituals with 6 and 9 year old sons.

Hope y'all appreciate the levity. I am enjoying the comments and conversations here and look forward to more.

Midnight Gardener

Salsa:

Ingredients:

10 ripe tomatoes
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, fine diced
good handful of cilantro, diced
peppers of your choice
pot of boiling water
tabasco sauce
salt and pepper.

Directions:

Remove stems from tomatoes. Score bottom of tomatoes with a small "X". This will help in removing skins. Place tomatoes in boiling water for 3 to five minutes or until skins start to loosen. Remove tomatoes from pot and cool. When tomatoes are cool, remove skins and dice. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce to taste. Note: For added flavor you can grill the peppers before you dice them up. Refrigerate salsa and serve with your favorite chips.

Reptilicus
Cool Member

Here's a dish I make pretty well. there's also a youtube video of it so you can see how easy it is.

Chinese Pepper Steak

1/2 lb beef sliced thin
green pepper
onion cut into wedges
1/4 cup beef broth
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp ginger minced
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp soy sauce

I found this video that explains it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82QZdEbrr8s

Here's my completed dish:
[img]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/buckyrant/pepperbeef.jpg[/img]

Reptilicus
Cool Member

Cathead biscuits

1 1/8 cup self-rising flour
2/3 cup milk or buttermilk
1/8 cup oil or bacon drippings

Preheat oven to 350°

mix all ingredients.

turn out on a floured surface.

work some flour into the dough.

divide into 4 separate pieces

roll piece into ball and place into a small greased cast iron skillet

brush tops with bacon drippings

bake 25 minutes at 350°

toast 1~2 minutes (optional)

pict of my results: ( minus one )
[img]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/buckyrant/catheadbiscuits.jpg[/img]

These go great with some butter beans and grits. or any vegetable so you can sop up the pot liquor. :wink:

Pepper

Reptilicus,

I bet you have a recipe for red eye gravy that compliments those biscuits nicely.

Reptilicus
Cool Member

Pepper wrote:Reptilicus,

I bet you have a recipe for red eye gravy that compliments those biscuits nicely.

I don't particularly care for red eye gravy. It's good if you are cooking up country ham.

COUNTRY HAM AND RED - EYE GRAVY

For each serving: Fry to a golden brown 1 slice of country ham. Begin cooking with a lid on your fry pan. Cook approximately 10-12 minutes per side on medium heat. Leave lid off after you turn your slices and continue turning until all the slices are brown. Remove country ham to platter.

Turn heat up a bit and add to the drippings 1 teaspoon of perked coffee per slice of ham and let simmer a couple of minutes. Red - Eye Gravy at its best! To be served over hot grits, eggs, biscuits, or the ham slices.

I like Sausage gravy:

Here's an easy Southern favorite.
INGREDIENTS:

3 cups milk
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
salt and pepper, to taste
8 ounces breakfast sausage, regular or spicy
2 3/4 cups biscuit mix
3/4 cup milk

PREPARATION:
Whisk together the 3 cups milk, flour, and salt and pepper, until flour is dissolved. Pour into a skillet. Simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes. Brown sausage in separate skillet, stirring and breaking up until cooked through; drain. Stir sausage into gravy.

Mix biscuit mix with remaining 3/4 cup milk in bowl until soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Ladle hot sausage gravy over split biscuits.
https://southernfood.about.com/od/gravyrecipes/r/bln10.htm

I usually cheat and use the gravy packets you can get at teh market. :oops:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for all your recipes Reptilicus! Wow, my mouth is druling.

A lot of us grow cabbage and it is readily available from local markets, if I buy it, I like to go to local farms.

Anyway, I digress: Sauerkraut. Back in the old days, every household had a crock or bucket of kraut fermenting away somewhere in the house but, now we have forgotten about those old time slow cook recipes that are so delicious and so healthy.'

Ingrdients:
5 lb of cabbage (I like to use about 5 heads of green cabbage and 1 head of red, makes the kraut a nice pink colour)
4 TB uniodized salt (I like seasalt because it adds more flavour)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 diced onion
5 diced red peppers
750 ml water (optional)

Directions:

Core and dice the cabbage up as finely as you can and place in a clean, sterile 5 gallon bucket or crock. Use your hand to squeeze each head for about 5 minutes after you have added it to the bucket.

Add a bit of the spice mixture as you add each head of cabbage.

Also, add about 1 pepper and a bit of onion after each head.

Once you have added all the ingredients continue to squeeze the beat the cabbage until water is pressed out of the cabbage. If you need to, add some water.

Place a tight fitting plate over the mixture and weight it down with a jug of water (I used a large jar (about 6 liters).
Cover with a large tea towel and place in a cool, place to ferment. Periodically check the kraut and skim off any skum that is ontop of the brine.

After 3 weeks your kraut will be ready to eat, after 3 months it will be amazingly tastey.

There are a tonne of Sauerkraut recipes out there like: Reubans (easy as pie to make your own corned beef and pastrami), kraut with perogi, Kraut balls and the list goes on....

Sauerkraut is good on it's own as well.

Here is my recipe for a Reuban:

Home made Corned Beef or Moose
Home made Pastrami
Home made Sauerkraut
Pepperoni (I used moos pepperoni but, that is not available to everyone)
Bean spread (chickpeas, great northern beans, pinto beans, cranberry beans boiled for one hour and pureed with an apple, some truffle oil, some mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil and some salt as well as some chicken stock)
Mayonaisse
Mustard
Swiss cheese
Rye Bread

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”