yosarian
Newly Registered

Collard greens / beens

I have collard greens from last year. This year most of them starting having nice yellow flowers after the flowers I start noticing something that looks like beans (still small but growing).
Are those beans edible? I try to look for it on internet and I couldn't find anything.
Thanks

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Those "beans" are, most likely, seed pods. When they dry out, collect them in a bag (be sure and label it).

Then, when the time is right for planting collards, you'll already have seeds ready to go. :)

Note: This pleasant scenario works if you were *not* growing a hybrid variety last year but rather an open-pollinated (heritage, heirloom) variety. If you grew a hybrid, you'll most likely get collards--as opposed to not getting collards--but they may look or taste different from what you had.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

yosarian
Newly Registered

Thanks. It say OP in the catalogue, then I should have a lot of seeds for latte summer/fall.
But I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to cook the seed pod/ beans. I don't mind the taste but I would like to know that are not poisonous.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

they're not poisonous, but if you get them too late, they will not be a texturally pleasant thing to have in your mouth. there's even a variety of radishes grown specifically for their edible pods, that I've grown, and have had fresh, cooked, and pickled.

yosarian
Newly Registered

Thanks. I am thinking to eat it as soon it looks as a green beans

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

they may not be edible anymore at green-bean size. I think your best luck will be in the up-to-2.5 inch range. try a tiny one now and see if you like it first, though.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”