Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sunny and warm, and I gotta find someone to come over here and water my plants! I can't bend down to turn on the outdoor faucets! :roll: :x

Royal Rebel

may the 22nd here in fl,, and its still raining a drought buster for sure,

yumoOo

it was really warm yesterday, but today its cool as long as your not standing in the sun.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Nice temp here in Ohio. Scattered thunderstorms that hit fast and hard for a short time. Concerned about plants but they are all still standing and survived. :D

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

'June Gloom' is upon us here in the Southern California coastal communities which is actually just a morning marine layer. Once it burns off, we have lovely sunshine, a cool breeze and temps in the low to mid 70's. :D

June is a great month to get the 'heavy lifting' yard projects out of the way. 8)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

97 degrees on our thermometer for the last few days.This year's better than last though because our normal thunder showers are back and our drought has abated. The mosquitoes are so thick in the garden they look foggy sometimes.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Meh! It's warm enough out, but gray and cloudy. I'm beginning to wonder whether I'll ever see the sun again. :(

That always happens to me this time of year. Our rainy season/monsoon isn't generally considered to be over until July 5th. I just get impatient. :lol:

Earl K
Green Thumb

I know what you mean Charlie.We are sitting at 96 with the heat index.HOT.Our normal afternoon showers were here for a couple weeks but have backed off this week-Dry again.Mosquitoes were bad for a while but has gotten better.Solution-stay inside and drink lots of sweet tea.Also have my first round of pole beans simmerin for supper-cant wait.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Here in Ohio pleasant with rain off and on. Complained about too much before :oops: but now it is welcomed. Calling for rain the next 3 days with sun/clouds. I worried but somehow mother nature takes care of things. :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Cool, cloudy mornings, sunny and pretty in the afternoons. Daytime temps in the 70s. Supposed to have some showers Friday. :)

pepper4
Green Thumb

It's going to be a putz around the house and scan the forums day. Cloudy and rain. Calling for rain and thundersorms all day tonight and a chance tomarrow. Oh well, the plants love it and it gives me a chance to catch up on things.

Earl K
Green Thumb

To hot to do anything.Yet I had to work today-Cutting grass at that.Temp. 95-Heat index-102.But still had to go out and check and tinker with plants when I got home .Now is when I wish I were in a cooler climate area.Stay cool and drink lots of water(at work,beers for me tonight)Have a good day :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It is just as bad today here in central South Carolina. Temperature hit near 100 degrees with the heat index near 110 degrees. Just spent a little time in the yard today, mostly handling watering chores. Temperature is now down to 92 degrees, so will go pick blueberries in a little while.

Decado
Green Thumb

So it seems here in MN we're getting the hot weather a little earlier than usual, it was 93 and humid today and it's going to be 97 and humid tomorrow, and it's not supposed to drop below 90 and will stay humid for a couple weeks, yay. Such a strange spring/summer it's been, we went straight from April weather to July weather.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Here in Ohio it has been rather hot and humid. It's 5:00 and they say it's 92. There is a chance of storms tonight. We could use alittle rain. Here it seems as though we go from june/ july weather for a few weeks straight into winter.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Most of June we were running the furnace at night because the temps were not getting out of the 40's. Daytime temps were running in the 60's. Last Saturday it popped up to the upper 80's. It was getting hot in the casa, so I popped on the a/c. On it came, cold came out and I went about my biz. Ten minutes later I noticed it was awfully quiet. OK, didn't I just turn the thing on? Checked thermostat, yup, it was on. Moved throws down a bit, nothing. Turned off, waited, back on. Nothing. Moved switch to ON for fan. Nothing. (insert favourite cussword here). Took the old knees downstairs to fusebox. Unscrewed fuse and shook. Heard rattling. Screwed in new fuse. Took knees back upstairs and tried again. Nothing. (insert several cusswords here). And so we have been w/o a/c for the hottest, most humid days of the year (90+ most days)--six and counting. Mean temp in mi casa has risen to 85F; and since we have excellent insulation, it does not go down at night but rather holds heat in and builds more. At night, when the outside temp has cooled down to 70's, it goes dead calm, of course. We do not have double-hung windows, so no fan created will fit and draw air in or create a cross-draft. As I sit and type this the temp is 82 and 80% humidity at my desk. Which is why I haven't been on for the last few days. Have been up/down stairs with two different contractors and now my knees hurt. I've gone through countless towels to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Contractor #2 did get the fan running again, but no a/c. We finally got a break in the weather (dropped 20 degrees in as many minutes, with severe t-storms), so even in the golly-washer I opened all the windows and used more towels to sop up the rain. Just as the thermostat registers under 80, unknown perp messes with a skunk outside and we have to close all the windows! (more cussing) Part needed did not come in today, unknown if will come in tomorrow. We leave town until July, so probably will not get fixed before then. We had just started our big seasonal switch of clothing, etc., from winter to summer and there are boxes everywhere. Oh, and the repair bill will run about $600 if that's all that's wrong. So, my thumbs aren't green, they're red--radiating heat. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Do not talk to me until further notice (as in the a/c gets fixed). Come to think of it, I won't know until then as I probably won't be on line. Yes, we tested the a/c weeks ago and it was fine. This is a blower problem. One more thing--today the microwave oven decided to quit.
No wonder I'm going bald.

applestar
Mod

Hey Wing, I know you said you probably won't read this, but I wish I could send you cooling winds and some future cousins of the Shoemaker's Elves to fix your A/C and MW.

I would toss some ice cubes your way as return favor to the snowball of last winter, but I'm afraid that would translate into hail... :roll:

"See you" when you're back! :wink:

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

So, updated situation, it's after 5:00 p.m. on a Friday night and now it seems the thermostat isn't talking to the furnace circuit board, at least on the a/c side. What a pain. I gave up following the guy around--my knees won't take it. Talked with at least two neighbours who have had electrical shenanigans including microwave malfunctions, brownouts (but only for one light, not even a circuit) flickering lights, mysterious flashing clocks, etc. I hope a transformer doesn't blow while we're gone; we leave for a trip on Saturday. This is why I'm losing my hair.

More updating: repairman gave up at 8:30 p.m. Basically all parts that can be replaced, have been; to the tune of over $400.00 and still no a/c. Oh, it can cool, and the fan works, and the new thermo talks to everything, but nothing is listening in the a/c dept. So I guess we should have listened to the first contractor about trying to repair an old unit and just replacing it. Total spent so far: $600+. Still to go: ??? And we haven't gotten to the "dog days" yet. We chose to go with repairs because we couldn't afford a new unit ($3-4K). Looks like we've got our own money pit now.
More hair gone.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Hot Hot Hot...no rain. We harvested all we could and are heading to the boat for a few days. Internet is hit or miss so I'll pop in to bother everybody if I can. Depends on which way the wind blows us from the anchor.

Wing we have room in the V birth if you feel like traveling. Boat's air conditioned. :o

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Be right there, Charlie! Oh, wait, you didn't give me directions... :(

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

wingdesigner wrote:Be right there, Charlie! Oh, wait, you didn't give me directions... :(
W 81 deg 26.8' 16"
N 34 deg 01' 96"

We'll leave from there. :)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, that helps. I skipped the Geocaching class. (It's on my list of Someday.)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

You can see one of our favorite spots at those coordinates on google earth.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Here's my dumber question: do I just copy/paste those coordinates into the search bar on google earth? Does it work the same way for MSN's Virtual Earth?

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Hi Wing, coordinates is coordinates. On google earth you click on view and then 'grid. That will apply the numbered lat/long to your earth view. Should be similar on virtual earth. I can't tell you how to "go to" by coordinate. Try typing " Southshore Marina Lake Murray SC"

If you like birds eye viewing marinas, I can send you a bunch of them we've holed up in..

pepper4
Green Thumb

Beautiful day here in Ohio. Upper 70's NO RAIN clouds and sun off and on. Nice day for a family BBQ.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Beautiful day of high 70's low 80's, sunshine with blue skies and cool ocean breezes here in SoCal... :o

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

HOT! Supposed to be in the 90s. It's been in the high 80s to mid 90s all week. I'm really tired of it. :roll:

Supposed to be back in the 70s on Monday. NICE! :D

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

It is so hot that rhododendron and hydrangea leaves are wilting. :idea: Can we get Fall started a little early this year?

Earl K
Green Thumb

I would love for fall to start yesterday.This heat is brutal,My tomato plants are done.But we are now getting our daily thunderstorms so I havent had to water but once or twice in two weeks :D

applestar
Mod

I don't know WHAT'S going on! Just woke up and it's 54ºF out there. In spring, eggplant and pepper starts were spending nights like this in a COVERED storage tote.... and I thought last night's 57ºF was bad.

The eggplants' leaves used to be all spread out, yesterday morning, they looked like they were hugging themselves and shivering -- all folded in towards the stems. :? They all have little egglings hanging on the plants too.

We're in drought. No rain for the past 10 days or more, except a passing shower that was just enough to bring the mosquitoes out of hiding. :mad: A thunderstorm's in the forecast for Sunday, but who knows. :roll: All sunny after that, the ground's parched. :(

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Highs in the 80s-90s, lows in the 60s or so; no rain for weeks it seems. I keep hearing about "wet weather" in the mid-east, but we haven't seen it! Last year our june was the wettest in years, this year no rain in sight. I've been watering daily but would like a break, please!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

[img]https://bimedia.ftp.clickability.com/wagtwebftp/wagt_webweather/7Day_Forecast.JPG[/img]

Pretty much covers it. Prepare for heavy sweat.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Hot here in Ohio today. Need some rain. Chance of rain tonight and tomarrow. Have been watering but there's nothing like mother natures rain. :wink:

pepper4
Green Thumb

Well, we got that rain this morning. Winds and a down pour. Checked veggies, all look good but celery is swimming. I think it will drain and dry up. Beans were batted down but with this sunshine now I think they will pick up.

jamesy
Cool Member

Here in SE Pa we got hit with a massive electrical storm last night , that went on for hours.More rain in those 4 hours than is good for any garden , it was coming down in sheets.
Its so frustrating to read people wishing for an early fall , summer has not even started here , not properly.
Another hum drum day today , its not cold and its not hot , its not sunny but not dull , just the same old overcast rubbish , id move to Fla tomorrow.

reptile dude007

It has been in the mid 80's this month, very cool for July here in sunny California. Very humid though.

LumpyLungwort

Touching 70 here Norfolk/Uk warmer than it has been for a while , very dry though for us and forever watering planters.........

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

these two thermometers are in the shade. One is on the east side, one on the west side of the house. It's almost 2PM so the sun's almost straight up. Although I complain about it I rarely am effected by the heat but today I got queasy while mowing. I guess this is a good reason.

[img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/100_0118.jpg[/img]

At 11AM, the east one read 121. The West side will be even hotter. I'm not quite sure why they read so high when the sun is facing them since they are shaded as well as possible. Any how, welcome to dixie folks.[/img]

pepper4
Green Thumb

Could use alittle rain but not a bad day here in Ohio. Alittle humid and sticky earlier today but ended nice with a mild breeze. Enjoyed a nice evening sitting outside with a few beers. :D

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”