judycape
Newly Registered

Topsy Turvey Tomato

My husband saw anad for the "topsy turvey" tomato planter, and decided to build his own. He bored a hole in a bucket and planted the tomato upside down. We added lime(a small amount one time)and water it daily. However, the plant is not doing well and is now turning yellow. Any suggestions fo success on this planting method?
Last edited by judycape on Mon May 18, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Why did you add lime? and did the plant need that mcuh water?

The Ancient

TZ -OH6 wrote:Why did you add lime? and did the plant need that mcuh water?
I agree. Why the lime? And your tomato plants generally will do good with 2-3 deep waterings a week.

elevenplants

Judy, there is a whole forum dedicated to tomato growing. Read through this whole thread: [url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12930[/url] for many tips for growing upside down tomatoes. Look specifically for my personal experience with the 5 gallon bucket method.

Rebecca

boggybranch

Start over........ lose the lime, keep moist not wet and keep it fed but not over-fed. Tomatoes, as a rule, don't like "sweet" soil conditions. It would really be good if you had some homemade compost to use.

judycape
Newly Registered

After re-reading my post, it sounds like we add both lime and water daily. However, we only put a small handful of lime one time. I do believe we will start over with better soil and try again. Thanks for your response.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”