donnalittle08
Newly Registered

New here and need help with my Bonsai Tree (Possible Azalea)

I received a Bonsai Tree for a gift and after 2 months it is not doing so well. I believe it is a Hawaiian Umbrella as it did not have a name only to water every day by submerging base in water and not to disturb soil. It began sprouting new grown and then all of the origonal grown diesd off and it is not recouperating. Please send some advise..I can email a photo if needed of before and after from my home email at aol..donnalittle08 but please someone help.

Moderators edit: [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14160]Link to the other thread.[/url]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Going to move this thread to the Bonsai Forum, Donna. Stop watering for a bit cut off black foliage and read up on how to post pics here...

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724[/url]

Get us pics and don't panic; they are hardy little trees...

HG

IndorBonsai

Sounds like its getting to much water , Try watering maby every 3 days.
Give the roots a chance to dry a little between watering( never completely dry tho). Also try placing it in a area that gets more sun light all day long. The more sun the better :)

Hope this helps,
Good Luck !!

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I'm guessing this is the same tree as in your other post, so the information I put here goes for both posts. Hawaiian Umbrella Trees (Shefflera) have compound leafs. Here is a link that takes you somewhere where there are both pictures and info on them https://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/ScheffleraBonsai.html

donnalittle08
Newly Registered

donnalittle08 wrote:I received a Bonsai Tree for a gift and after 2 months it is not doing so well. I believe it is a Hawaiian Umbrella as it did not have a name only to water every day by submerging base in water and not to disturb soil. It began sprouting new grown and then all of the origonal grown diesd off and it is not recouperating. Please send some advise..I can email a photo if needed of before and after from my home email at aol..donnalittle08 but please someone help.

Moderators edit: [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14160]Link to the other thread.[/url]
I appreciate all the responses and quidance for this site. I have a few photos of my Bonsai. I have been reading and now I am torn between it being a Fukien Tea or a Hawiian Umbrella.

This photo (of poor image) was taken upon receiving the Bonsaai as a gift.

These are a photo taken this evening..
I am at such a loss with this poor thing...just taking the photos made me want to cry.

[/img][img]https://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/donnalittle06/339.jpg[/img]

[/img][img]https://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/donnalittle06/342.jpg[/img]

IndorBonsai

Looks like a Fukien Tea to me.

The soil looks wet . You let the soil dry almost completely between watering? If not I would recommend it. If the soil is damp wait another day to water. :)

Please don't fertilize a sick tree it only makes it worse.

Also the Fukien Tea loves lots of light, the more light the better. It does well in temps between 60 -80 degrees fahrenheit.

It is a pretty tough tree and should make a come back.

Hope this helps :)

donnalittle08
Newly Registered

IndorBonsai wrote:Looks like a Fukien Tea to me.

The soil looks wet . You let the soil dry almost completely between watering? If not I would recommend it. If the soil is damp wait another day to water. :)

Please don't fertilize a sick tree it only makes it worse.

Also the Fukien Tea loves lots of light, the more light the better. It does well in temps between 60 -80 degrees fahrenheit.

It is a pretty tough tree and should make a come back.

Hope this helps :)
This helps so very much Thank You. Should I trip off the dead or just find a sunny place outside for it or both.

IndorBonsai

I would wait and see what happens, pull off the dead leaves is ok. Sometimes what looks dead might still be alive and put out new growth.

P.S. Some of the trees I have bought came in soil that dosent drain well and holds way to much moisture, these trees only get watered maby once a week, If the soil is damp I always wait another day and check again. These trees will be re-potted in the time of year that is right for the tree.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Donna,

Now I'm convinced that it is not an Umbrella Tree. But I'm not convinced it is a Fukien Tea either. I readily admit I don't own one but they are posted here on a fairly regular basis. The key identification feature I look for when trying to confirm that a plant is a Fukien Tea is the notched leaf margins. Although not all the leaves seem to exhibit the feature you should be able to find a few.

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Fukien_Tea_Tree_flower.jpg[/img]

The closer pictures make me a bit more sure of my initial impression. It looks like an Azalea to me, but still not conclusive in my mind. In the second new picture I note a dried flower bud that looks much longer (football shaped) than the rounder ones in the picture above. Google for pictures of Azalea foliage or Azalea leaves and see what you think.

Norm

IndorBonsai

We may need to wait for your poor tree to get healthier before we can be sure what kind of tree it is.

But my recommendations for trying to nurse your tree back to health are the same :)

donnalittle08
Newly Registered

Thank you all for your wonderful help. I do have azalia's along my house and the leaves look idential to my Bonsai. I will get it outside in the sun during the daylight hours and let it dry and water it alot less. Once it recovers I will post more pics.. Thanks again.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Can someone take care of ^that^? :lol:

The tree doesn't look like a Fukien tea to me either, and definitely not Schefflera. Possibly a Malphighia spp. due to the "fine hairs" look (not actual hairs) of the leaves, but I'm not convinced on that either. To me, it looks most like Bucida spinosa, sold as "black olive".

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”