Delraypete
Newly Registered

Propagating Southern Willow from cutting

I have had a Southern Willow cutting in a bucket of water for the past 3-4 weeks that now has roots and new growth. I was wondering if anyone knew when is appropriate to pot this new tree, how to pot it and in what conditions should I keep it while it grows in this early stage?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

A light friable soil with lots of water. If you have perlite which I prefer over vermiculite mix it in with some compost but not the garden soil from a big box.

Delraypete
Newly Registered

Whoops, I believe it is more commonly known as Coastal Willow, also called Florida or Swamp Willow.

IndorBonsai

Sphagnum moss. I skip the sitting in water part and just poke my starts straight into a starter pot full of sphagnum moss. within a few weeks of keeping it watered the starts are growing and sprouting out new growth.

It works good with my Bonsai it might work well here.

sphagnum moss is not the same as sphagnum peat moss. Wear gloves when working with sphagnum moss.
There is a antibiotic or something naturally good in sphagnum moss that almost all plant roots love.( I havent found a plant that wont grow in it yet)

anyways I was just passing through.

Delraypete
Newly Registered

bullthistle wrote:A light friable soil with lots of water. If you have perlite which I prefer over vermiculite mix it in with some compost but not the garden soil from a big box.
I've got some Fafard 3B Mix for my potted plants. It's 45% Sphagnum Peat, processed pine bark, vermiculite and perlite. Is that stuff well regarded?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If that's what you have use it.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”