MaggieMD

tomato plants withered brown leaves

I have 55 tomato plants with 18 different varieties. I planted them April 30th, and we've had cool (not cold) wet weather ever since in So Md. Today, after a couple days away from the garden, I saw two plants, different varieties, opposite ends of the garden, with most, if not all, the leave shriveled and brown. The stems looked still green for the most part. One variety is Heidi (plum) and one is Orange Beefsteak. IN both cases, other plants of the same variety are unaffected.

I can lose two plants, and still have over 50 -- my worry is, what if it spreads? Two weeks prior to planting, based on a soil test, we tilled in calcitic lime, potash, Epsom salts, and cow manure at recommended rates. The garden is covered with landscape fabric weed block, has soaker hoses (though it's rained the last eight days, so haven't needed those much), and is fenced from predators. I'm stumped. I would like to attach a picture, but don't know how.

Does anyone have any ideas?
[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I can't tell for sure without a photo, but...was the "cow manure" fully composted, or was it "new" manure?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

MaggieMD

Well, we got it from the neighbor, bwho has cows, ut it had been laying around for a while, mixed with old beddig, and it did not stink, so I thought it was okay. Plus we tilled it in deeply with the tractor. I also thought of fertilizer burn, but then couldn't explain why only two plants got it.

I can email you these pictures from my email account, but I can't figure out how to post them! Would you be willing to accept a private message?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You'll get much better advice overall if everyone on the forum can see the pictures, too, and not just me, so here's the link with instructions from our webmaster on how to post pix:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

I've got to go now (clients), but I leave you in good hands--the other Helpful Gardeners'. :)

Cynthia

MaggieMD

Okay, thanks. I think I followed the directions. Here is the link to the photos:
https://s641.photobucket.com/albums/uu136/maggiema420/?albumview=grid

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”