opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Seed Saving

Now is the time to start saving those seeds.

If you have carrots that have gone to seed, shake the seeds onto a piece of white paper and place the seeds in an envelope.

Tomatoe seeds are collected by cutting tomatoes in half and squeezing the seeds and pulp into a dish and letting it sit for a few days. Wash the seeds and dry them. Store in an airtight container

Squash is out and going crazy. Try some wierd and wonderful varieties that you will find at local farms and farm markets. Just wash the seeds and allow to air dry.

Beans, beans and more beans. I have them coming out of my ears. Allow the pods to dry on the vine or pick the plump pods and store in a well ventilated place. Once, the pods are dry, the seeds are ready to collect. Save the pods for your compost. Be sure to cut them up.

SquashNUt

How do I save seed from broccolli? I know it goes to flower in the summer, but There us not enough time in our season for it to make seeds. Any suggestios appreciated.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would suggest growing a couple of plants in some sort of covered area like a greenhouse that will be used specially for seeds.

Does someone else have a better idea?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Can't say I do, Opa. Why a seperate house?

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, my sentence structure is a little ......mishapen up there. What I meant was to just grow the plants in a greenhouse or similar structure separate from the other plants that will be outside in the garden.

The broccoli in the greenhouse would most definately bolt with the increased temperatures during spring and summer. But, for seed collection , that is what you would want.

..........................................You know, the alternative would be to build little 2x2x1 greenhouses and place them right over the broccoli plants in your garden. I built a bunch of them for less that 2 dollars (which made 8 of them).

Instructions:
Buy several pieces of 6-8 foot long 2x1 lumber. Cut into 2 and 1 foot lengths. Nail together to make a 2x2 square. Nail the one foot legs in place.

Buy or scrounge some clear plastic and stape a piece big enough to cover surface area of frame.

Easy as pie. And Cheap too!

SquashNUt

What I am confused on is Broccolli a bi-anial? Like cabbages?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No, but for short season gardeners to get seed, special care needs to be taken (extreme measures, even...)

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hey for saving seeds, here is one of the things that I do:

Go to the supermarket and local farm markets. If you see some wonderful new variety of a fruit or vegetable; buy one or two of them and save the seeds for planting next year. (And for trading)

I have been buying these yellow tomatoes from a local farm market for years and a few days ago I bought two of them for the specific purpose of seed saving. The seeds and pulp are currently sitting in plate outside my back door. Saturday I will sieve the seeds (with water and bit of biodegradable soap) and put them back on the plate (inside this time) to dry for about a week.

And I always find wierd and wonderful squash at the local farms that I save the seeds from and try growing. I have..... (wow, so many I can't remember) maybe 5 or 6 new (and old) varieties of squash seeds.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”