AmyEm
Newly Registered

Something to contrast with my bluebells?

Hi all, I'm brand here. I'm so glad I found this site. I'm a beginner with gardening so any help is appreciated.

Anyway, we have this patch of bluebells growing in an area behind our house. I'd like to plant some other perennials in there to contrast with the bluebells.

We also have ferns that come in there later but right now it's just bluebells and I'd like to add something to the area--just don't know what would look nice. Something that will flower around the same time as the bluebells and then maybe something that flowers later on?

I'm in zone 3 and the area gets morning to early afternoon sun.

eta: I can try to get a picture of the area at some point if that would be helpful!

Thank you!

James282
Cool Member

How much room do you have to plant other things? Do you want to plant 2 more different types of plants? 4? This would make a big difference in what I'd suggest you plant. Do you want something that will spead? something that will be more polite and contained?

With a little more info you may get a lot of suggestions!

AmyEm
Newly Registered

James282 wrote:How much room do you have to plant other things? Do you want to plant 2 more different types of plants? 4? This would make a big difference in what I'd suggest you plant. Do you want something that will spead? something that will be more polite and contained?

With a little more info you may get a lot of suggestions!
I was thinking maybe 2 more things--something that flowers in spring and something that flowers in summer.

I wouldn't mind something that spreads--I guess I could go either way on that question.

The area is around 8ft by 4ft maybe? I can get a more accurate size tomorrow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think a classic combination with bluebells would be yellow daffodils. Other spring bloomers for your zone (not sure if they bloom exactly the same time as your blue bells) would be columbine, fritillary, tulips, buttercups. For late spring to summer maybe lupines and for summer to fall achillea would be nice. https://www.garden.org/plantfinder/ has a searchable database to find plants that fit your needs.

AmyEm
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:I think a classic combination with bluebells would be yellow daffodils. Other spring bloomers for your zone (not sure if they bloom exactly the same time as your blue bells) would be columbine, fritillary, tulips, buttercups. For late spring to summer maybe lupines and for summer to fall achillea would be nice. https://www.garden.org/plantfinder/ has a searchable database to find plants that fit your needs.
Thank you. I LOVE daffodils and tulips. I'm absolutely going to put some daffodils in there. They would have to be planted this fall though right?

The area is slightly irregular in shape. Should I just intermix them in among the bluebells? Or do something not so random?

Thank you for the plantfinder link too. I'm going to check that out now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes the daffodils and tulips would be planted in the fall to come up and bloom next spring. And yes I think just randomly intermixing them will be lovely... Nature is random and chaotic!

Return to “Perennials”