kylie77

Yeah I have blossoms!!!

I'm so excited because I've already got some blossoms on my cucumbers and 2 of my tomato plants! I thought it would be ages yet before that would happen. My cucumber plants don't look great, but maybe this means they're doing better than I thought? I'm shocked about the tomatoes because last year we didn't have any until august! WOO HOO! Can't wait till we have fruit!

Earl K
Green Thumb

Congrads on your blossoms. I am growing cucumbers for the first time this year,They are called sumter and they are small.My plants are only about a foot tall.I don't have any blossoms yet and don't even know what they will look like.I guess time will tell.Good luck.

kylie77

My plants are also about a foot tall. I started them just over a month ago. I did NOT expect blossoms so soon! It's a nice surprise!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

That is a surprising result for someone way up in B.C. My cucumbers that were started indoors have their first set of blooms and appear to have set small fruit. Perhaps another week to ten days and I'll be picking a few of the earliest ones. I've also started a succession planting by direct seeding in the gound. Those have not sprouted yet.

I also have a zucchini and a couple of crookneck squash, if the fruit actually got polinated. Will know in a couple of days.

kylie77

Thanks! I don't know what's 'normal' as I've never grown cucumber or most of the other things I'm trying this year. I'm pretty certain that I've overwatered the cucumbers in the beginning and that's why the leaves are looking bad. I took a few of the worst leaves off so a couple of the plants only have about 4-5 leaves on them. It's these ones that have blossoms. Very weird! There is a ton of new growth on the plants though so I think they'll be ok.

I'm going to do the succession planting thing too as soon as I figure out where everything is going in my garden! I have lots more seeds ready to plant!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I'm so excited because I've already got some blossoms on my cucumbers and 2 of my tomato plants!
How can that be? I won't even plant my cucumber seed until June 1.

We garden in two different worlds.

kylie77

I don't know! I started them way way too early for our climate. They still have a couple weeks before they can be planted out. Sure it nice to see though!

Earl K
Green Thumb

Ok ,I just checked my cucumber plants and after a real close look-I have blossoms too.The funny thing is that I didnt know where they were going to be on the plant.When I saw yellow blossoms I looked at the other plants and theyre all over.Any idea on how long it will take for 5-6 inchers to grow :?:

kylie77

You're asking me??!! lol I have no idea! I don't even know if the blossoms are male of female! I've never grown cucumbers before. It's exciting to see the blossoms though isn't it?!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”