The Ancient

New Avocado Tree - Why Would Leaves be Drooping and Dying?

I purchased a Haas avocado tree that stands about 4 ft tall. I dug a huge hole, mixed soil ammend and 2 cups of avocado tree fertilizer and planted the tree in full sun. The original leaves and dying at the end and droopy. What gives? (BTW, I'm in Orange County, CA)

damethod

You ammended too much fertilizer far too soon. You've probably burned the roots. I would pull up the plant and plant somewhere else or somehow get out as much of that fertilizer as you can. While the plant is uprooted give the roots a good washing until it looks pretty much bare root. Then replant.

You should wait at least 2 months before fertilizing any fruit tree that you plant in the ground.

The Ancient

Thanks for the advice. I followed the advice of the local nurserie and the package that said to fertilize the tree when I transplanted. I kept the fertilizer away from the root ball.

damethod

Alot of trees come with a tag containing pretty basic information. Fact is the tags are usually wrong because they don't take into account the local climate. You'll see the same tag on an avocado trees sold here as in Pensacola. However, soil here is calcerous(don't know if I spelled that right) and it does not get as cold as up there. Your best bet is to check your local agricultural extension office. Here is Florida's:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG213
Last edited by damethod on Sat May 02, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

damethod

Actually, here is more relevant info. This is from California. :D

https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html

Return to “All Other Fruit”