mccolgan1

whats chomping on my pea shoots

ok I recenly got into gardening and iv planted some peas in a grow bag for starters. just normal peas that I can tell no special names.

they were doing well nice and leafy and about 1- 2cm high with nice green colour, then I noticed yesterday some of them were just stalk no leaf or sprout left. I put some snail and slug pellets down and checked again today and half my pea shoots are gone.

I found a pesky snail on the under edge of the growbag and moved him, iv now raised the bag of the ground hoping it will help. is it the snail thats eating my shoots and will they eaten ones grow back ? eny home remedies to help also.

thanks in advance for eny help and tips.

Jeff.

Gerrie

I've had the same problem with sugar snap peas and here's what worked for me- mine are in earth, not grow bags but I cut the bottoms off cans (dog food, whatever) as I used them and put the can over the individual plant, sinking it into the ground a couple inches. No more eaten pea plants! It's taken a while to do most of them, but it's working. The ones that were eaten are still not doing well so I don't know if they'll come back or not.

mccolgan1

thanks not thought about that . il give it a try thanks.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”