tfoals

Seed planting? I don't know what to do.

I'm running out of time. It's going to be weeks before it's dry enuff to plant these seeds.

Punkin, butternut squash, carrot, turnup, cucumber, lettus, onion, beet, okra, peas, corn, chard, radish, lufa, wonder egg, huckleberry, husk tomato, sweet pepers, hot peppers, broccoli, bush beans and ranunculus (it was a free gift, I have no idea what it is)

I read that the bush beans will be ok, they like it warm. Will anything else grow this late? I've thought about trying to start all my seeds while were waiting on the dirt to dry.

I have a south facing room and a good sized porch with a roof that I could dedicate to plants that don't like the hot sun. If they would grow all season indoors. Or containters in a shady spot?

I wouldnt mind a fall garden if I knew what would grow then. I feel so overwhelmed.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Don't worry about planting the Squash, Pumpkins and Cucumbers, since you will harvest them in the fall anyway. I would buy some pepper and tomato plants, since it is a little late to be starting any from seed. You can also wait on the radishes because they grow super quick, depending on your variety. Beans tend to grow quickly as well, so you could probably go a head and plant those when the soil dries. Hope this helps. Hope someone else gives you better input.

tfoals

Very helpfull! Thanks BrianSkilton.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Ranunculus is an ornamental flower, not edible so far as I know, so there's one to take off the "gotta plant it NOW" list.

I second the recommendation to buy started plants if you can afford it, for this season. "Seed starting season" for many of the earlier veggies is pretty far along. I missed it here where I live, and have purchased started plants. But then, I only have 96 square feet in which I can grow veggies, so not a whole lot of plants are involved...

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Burnet

Is the soil wet because it's raining, or because the winter water still hasn't dried out? if it's raining, and the patch is relatively small, you could put a tarp down. I've done it. :)

I agree that you should buy plants for the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. They love heat, though, so they should do just fine from plants.

I think you're late for onions from seeds - I'd get plants or sets.

It may be too late for the peas and broccoli. If it's really hot, it may be too late for the lettuce, though it's worth a try, and if the try fails, it might be worth another try with shade cloth or in a shady spot.

Pumpkins, squash, cucumber, beans, and corn should, I think, be fine, though you may want to check the days before harvest on the seed packet for some of them. All of them are big seeds that like it warm. Oh, and okra _loves_ heat, though if you find okra plants, I'd recommend skipping the seeds.

Radishes are probably fine, unless they're really heat-sensitive.

The others might well be fine, I just don't grow them often enough to have an opinion one way or another.

Burnet

tfoals

Thanks cynthia_h and Burnet. Starting to narrow things down a bit. I might try lettus in a container. Anyone tried that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The lettuce issue isn't the container (it grows fine in a container), it's the weather. Lettuce is a cool weather crop that fades out and goes to seed quickly when it gets warm. You could try it in a container in a partly shady area and/ or with shade cloth over it to protect it from hot sun. You can also wait and plant the seed along about August for a fall crop. Or some of both!

tfoals

Thanks rainbowgardener. I think I'll try both. I bought a mixed packet with several different types of lettus in it. Guess I should have just settled on one type and got a heat tolerant plant.

tfoals

So heres what I've been thinking.

For now wait and plant squash, punkin, cucumber, radishes, bush beans, corn and okra when it dries out.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and start some more broccoli, lettus, onion, luffa, wonder egg, huckleberry, husk tomato and the pepers, maybe peas. I can probly come up with enuff containers for them if I only do about half. I figured I'd try replanting one at a time to see if they'll make it. I could keep them indoors if I had to. Hubbie keeps several lizards so full spectrum and uv lighting isn't a problem.

Around august I'll plant carrots, broccoli, caulflower, beets, onions, lettus, turnups and chard. Do any of these need to be started indoors beorehand?

Hows that sound?

cgiglio01

Hi,

You could plant peas, carrots, lettuce and chard directly in the soil in late July or early August and get a fall crop. You probably have to start the broccoli and cauliflower indoors before you plant them out. Neither of them likes warm weather. Also, I've never done this, but I've heard you can plant the onion seeds in late summer and over winter them for an earlier harvest the next summer.

Good luck!

tfoals

Thanks cgiglio01. It would be great if that would work for onions. I could plant them and garlic at the same time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”