jeniwoodey
Newly Registered

Where are Cheap Discount Seeds for Fruits & Vegetables?

Beginner Gardener. Is there a cheap website anyone know of for vegetable and fruit seeds? Thank you for your responses.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Seeds are fairly inexpensive anywhere you get them. I bought some at Walmart and some from our local nursery. On the average they ran from 99 cents to around $1.50. What sort of seeds are you looking for :?: If you order them over the web you want to make sure they're new plus you have to take in account shipping fees. :)

2cents
Green Thumb

A friend insisted I go to the Dollar General store, He has been talking about it for 2 years.
5 packs of seeds for $1.
Yes, 20 cents a pack.
Except for the Green Beans(12 beans/pack), more seeds in a pack than I could use.
Good germination rate........Who knew.......Big name seed companies......Mine already sprouted.
I'll go back again next year. Except I'll get $5 worth.
Last edited by 2cents on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeniwoodey
Newly Registered

THANKS!! I thought maybe there were deals online, but I will definitely check those places out.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Online "deals" often charge ridiculous amounts for shipping. I purchased seeds last year, knowing that I'd have enough for two and possibly three years because of the tiny amount of growing space I have.

Averaging it out over 3 years, I did pretty well, *especially* in the shipping department.

Bix Box stores, although they may have apparently low prices, generally have varieties of seeds which do well in a mythical "average garden." But the climate, soil, sun, rain/drought, etc. conditions each gardener deals with are exceedingly local, so I recommend seeking out local sources for seeds if you can't find the varieties you want elsewhere for a decent price.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

2cents
Green Thumb

I would start to save some of my own seeds for the following year.

pepper4
Green Thumb

I don't know if you have Walmart near you but I saw a commercial this morning... buy 1 pack of seeds and get 1 free :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”