green~acres

Preserving Cilantro

This is the first time I have planted a herb. I think I will have more cilantro thanI will need at one time.How is the best way to preserve it? Freezing? How long would it keep in the refrigerator? Any advice is welcome. Thanks
Julie

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You can stuff the roots in a glass of water and keep it in the fridge for a month or more, green and alive...that's my first suggestion...

Freezing always takes away something, but we have frozen cilantro, basil, and parsley just rinsing branches clean, air dry, and throw it right in a ziploc, getting out as much air as you can (one of those little vacuum units would be great).

HG

green~acres

Thanks. I will try the freezing method. I do have one of those vacuum things.You all always have good helpful advice.
Julie

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Why thank you Julie!

:()

HG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You can dry it then seal it in a plastic ziploc.

Gardener972
Newly Registered

My friend's mother blends up cilantro and onion with a bit of water in her blender and freezes it in ice cube trays then bags it. I want to try that!

olamina
Newly Registered

I just found this "cilantro pesto" idea and am going to try.
https://nofearentertaining.blogspot.com/2008/12/cilantro-pesto.html

We can't get cilantro in the stores here at all, so I am looking for ways to make my garden yield stretch into the winter.

green~acres

Hello All,
There was also a Pico De Gallo recipe at another page at that website. Has cilantro in it. I am finding there are more uses for cilantro than I thought.
Have a great weekend. Julie

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”