southerngardener
Newly Registered

Soil compositions, Trellis heights, and browning leaves!!

I started an above ground vegatable and fruit garden using a combination of black cow potting mix and miracle grow in ground mix. Mostly Black cow, a ratio of about 4:1. With a layer of top soil covering it. My vegetables and fruit are really taking off so far. Is there anything I should keep an eye out for or add to the soil?

I am growing: cucumber, watermelon, peas, roma tomatoes and lettuce.

Also how tall of a trellis should I set up for my cucumbers, I am not sure of the exact varity.

Last one! I have four pea plants, they are about 1.5 feet tall so far and growing fast, I just noticed a couple days ago that the bottom leaves of all four plants are turing brown, is this normal should I prune them?

Thanks, Candy

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Peas and lettuce are generally considered cool-weather veggies. If by "central Florida" you mean Orlando or similar, it's probably better to plant lettuce and peas in the fall so they can enjoy cooler weather. (I went to high school in Tampa.)

Not sure how tall a trellis you want for cukes; mine last year were miserable for several reasons... The Romas should be terrific; be sure to give them more support than you think they could ever need.

The watermelons should be happy, too...

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA (for my "southern" history, see CharlieMV's post about "sweet tea")

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”