larguell
Newly Registered

What to add to raise my landscape beds in front of house

Hi. After 10 years in a home and no experience with landscaping, I recently dug up all of the old shrubs that were had been originally planted by the builders of our now 10 year home. I would like to build up the dirt level and replant. (it seems to be a nice look when I see homes that have been professionally landscaped and the beds are raised a bit higher than the lawn). My question is what do I buy to build up the dirt level? Is it manure, top soil, clean fill dirt, peat moss. etc...? Also, I'd like to do this economically. We live in Indiana and the soil has a lot of clay, but when I dug up the existing shrubs, there is now nice black top soil too. Please help give me ideas. Thanks in advance :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Larguell!

Moved this to the landscaping forum as a more apropos location...

Check the local farms and see if anyone has composted barn leavin's; you can probably get it cheaper than anything bagged and it will be worlds better than bagged stuff anyway. Mix that with some topsoil, say 50/50 and you have a famous planting medium for most flowers and shrubs...

Welcome!

HG

larguell
Newly Registered

Awesome - will do. Thanks so much!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Remember, COMPOSTED barn leavin's. The fresh stuff should NOT be used around homes, and DEFINITELY never around food crops...

HG

Return to “Landscaping”