michellepotter
Newly Registered

How often is "often"? (Watering strawberries)

I just bought my daughter a "kit" for growing strawberries in a hanging basket. The instructions, and every website I can find, say "water often." Well, how often is "often"? Daily? Twice a day? Twice a week?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

This link seems to have good information about container grown strawberries:

https://hubpages.com/hub/Best-Methods-for-Growing-Container-Strawberry-Plants-in-the-South

"6. Watering Strawberries:

Watering strawberries is also a simple rule process - water them only enough to keep the soil damp. Do not over water. Do not allow them to stand in water. At the same time, remember however, that strawberries are 95% water. If they do not get enough water, they will be small and hard."

Here's a link to another site that has pretty clear information:

https://www.howdididoit.com/home-garden/how-to-grow-strawberries-in-containers/

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

We say things like "water often" because it is relative. Often for me is once a week because I live in a wet area, that won't work in Palm Springs. So without better info we can't make better recommendations...

"Often" to me is moist, not damp...doesn't feel dry, but doesn't get your fingers wet...

HG

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Can you translate the Polish for us, Borowki?

Very impressive with the blueberries, sir. Always nice to have professionals on the Forum. Witam!

HG

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Some things remain the same everywhere! :lol:

HG

fbg
Newly Registered

I hear ya michelle. you ask a simple question and still not one person understands how to answer it.you even gave examples..whats the deal with people now days. I have also been searching the internet for the same answer.thats how I ended up here.and still no answer..if I find a good direct answer,I will stop back by and post it for you.incase you still havent found the answer to watering strawberries.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

michelle hasn't been back since she posted her question in 2009.

Unfortunately in gardening, there is rarely a simple answer. The answer to most questions is "it depends." In this case, she told us she is in Houston, so we can have some idea of the climate she is talking about. But still "it depends" on whether her strawberries are in full sun or part sun, whether it has rained or not, how moisture holding the soil is, are they in the ground or in containers, etc. etc.

There is a simple answer though: water your strawberries when they need it and not when they don't. You can tell when they need it by putting a finger down in to the soil a couple inches. If it is moist at that level, don't water. If it is dry, then water.

Return to “All Other Fruit”