drtmama

So, what's the weather like where you are today?

Hi, I'm Jackie from Southside Virginia. It is Sunday, March 1st and we are having our first real snow fall of the winter! They say we will have 4 to 6 inches before tomorrow morning.

Here it is less than 3 weeks till Spring and NOW we are getting the snow.

I know many of you in the Mid-west have had your share already.

Have things improved for you out there?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Last week 60's and 70's, next week 60's and 70's. Today and tomorrow, 3-5 inches of snow, lows in the 20's highs around 40.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Cloudy, raining, and 48° outside. :)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I'm 60 miles south of Alex so we're about the same. I'm not counting on snow although it's forecast here. Should be in the 60's by midweek.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

No snow but they did panic and decide to close schools today. Its 58 degrees and clear. I love the south except in late July and early August. You gotta have a sense of humor.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

All the snow melted last week (only a foot or so); now it's back to single digits at night with a 15-25 mph wind out of the north. Just another March in Michigan, my Michigan--balmy.

2cents
Green Thumb

It is in the 20s, good time to work the soil.
supposed to be 60 this weekend.
You can always tell someone who truely loves to garden, they have a tan or sun burn by April 1st or is that wind burn on their face.
Samething, its all weather related.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Was 17 here last night. High of 34 today. Have the woodstove crankin' - makes it toasty.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Forecast says we will hit 80 on Friday and Saturday. It's tank top time.

WOW I'm TBD!

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Hi, Grey--haven't seen you in a while!

CharlieMV--Congratulations! You know what that means...

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Wing, my wife says "the big dumb*** :lol:

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Ohhh, that's what you meant in your other post. Never mind... I've been called worse. I think. At my age that sometimers comes in handy every so often. :wink:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

:wink:

midnighter
Newly Registered

today in the Wichita area of Kansas it was like 80! which seems ridiculous for the first week of March. it's supposed to be steadily dropping for the next week back down to the 50's. But I was wearing shorts, a tank top, and my flip-flops today whereas only 2 days ago I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and jeans. But that's good 'ol Kansas for ya :lol: always changing, and quite frequently windy

oh, and Charlie MV, I love your siggy! :D

green~acres

April 5th. Going to be 78 today. but have a couple of chilly nights coming up this week.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Gorgeous! Sunny and in the 60s. I dearly wish I could work in the yard today, but I have a ton of stuff to do in the house in preparation for the contractors who will be here early tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll be able to get out and put a few flower seeds in the ground at least. :D

pepper4
Green Thumb

It's just been a so so day. Alittle sun and alot of clouds. In the hi 40's. It could be worse but I wish it would get better. :( Bambi

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

we'll pretty much be 80 degrees and either rainy or sunny until May starts. Then 85 till June and after that it will just be OMG hot until mid September.

kasimac

Up here in maine its been raining/cloudy for more then a week... we had 1 day of sunshine, and that was it.

Tomorrow it's also supposed to be raining/cloudy.... Thank goodness I have a sun lamp for my plants.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Here in Ohio we are getting a rain/ snow. As the temp drops tonight I imagine it will be more of a snow. I don't think we'll get alot of accomulation but it just slows the progress. Later this week they are calling for 50's so maybe I can start hardening my plants. :roll: Bambi

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

High 50's and raining. Hooked rainbarrels back up yesterday, and they are full. Timing is everything...

HG

2cents
Green Thumb

The coldest opening day for the Cincinnati Reds in 140 years.
It snowed again today.
What has happened to our global warming?
The garden looks terrible. Guess I'll have to replant.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

S'Why I like "global weirding" as a moniker for what's happening...

Ocean currents are disrupted and change pattern and strenght (due to something called thermohaline discontinuity; DO NOT make me explain it. People will die of boredom as their eyes glaze over...) For instance, Europe has been warmed by the Gulf Stream for years, but it may well weaken as the oceans warm, falling further south. The result of warming for them could well be Europe suddenly getting the climate of Canada (look at a globe; they are on the same latitude).

Global Warming does not mean heat for everyone right away...it means confused weather and garden conditions getting trickier for a lot of us...

Keep tuned...

HG

pepper4
Green Thumb

Here in Ohio, snow. On the bright side the forcast is looking better as the week goes on. 50's. Prefer much warmer but I'll take it. Bambi

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Gray ... overcast ... mid 60s.

eshenry

I drove in to work in some of the heaviest snow I have seen in years here. It began snowing yesterday and continued until this evening. It is dogwood winter with a vengeance. AKKK. It is supposed to freeze again tonight. I think I may lose the english peas that are up about 3 inches

Sweet Petunia

I would say that today is probably a 6 or 7 on a scale from 1-10. Its 66, birds are singing, flowers are blooming but its very cloudy. I'm setting here trying to figure out how to grow these herbs I bought!! We are expecting storms tonight but tommorow the high is 74 and SUNNY!! My butt will be planted in the garden all day!!
Its day like these that make me sooooo glad I live in the south!! I don't want to even think about snow again till next year!! Now com July, I will be wishing I lived in the North! We usually take our yearly vacation to Maine that month. Butno matter when we go, its always their hottest week!! ANd they don't have airconditioning!! So we go to escape the heat and we end up taking vacation in 95 degree temps with no air!! I think we will go in October this year.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Here in Ohio it reached almost 60 with little breeze. Took my potted plants out for the first time for hardening for about a hour. Unfortunately it is going to cool down for at least the next 4 days. Mid 40's. :roll:

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Today and tomorrow we are supposed to have a bit of a heat wave for this time of year - up into the low to mid 90's. Maybe it will head east to warm things up. :)

Yesterday was beautiful at about 80 degrees, sunny all day, with a slight breeze in the late afternoon.

But today is already at 82 with bright sun! ...and I'm in a coastal community. I prefer things to be mid to high 70's but I feel fortunate with the weather I have here. :wink:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's beautiful outdoors, and I need to go get my hands in the dirt! I spent all day yesterday working outside! :D

pepper4
Green Thumb

We had 3 beautiful days, especially Sat. right around 70 and sunny. Did alot of yard work. :) Raked, mowed, cleaned gutters and planted bush beans. Today not so good. Maybe upper 40's and cloudy. Calling for rain tonight. Not much outside work got done today. :cry: Oh wel, there was inside work that needed to be caught up on.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Beautiful day; compost piles turned, reloaded a new batch in the tumbler, spread the finished stuff in the garden, the Japanese garden got raked out, some light weeding here and there...65 or so, partly sunny, no frost for a while (knock on wood)

Not too shabby...

Let's garden...

HG

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

seems like it's rained 4 out of 5 days for a month now (which is good in drought-y western nc)...things are definitely starting to move. supposed to be in the 70's by the end of the week, looks like we're out of the woods re: frost. this week and the coming weekend (rain permitting, but it looks like it will for a bit) are going to be BUSY in gardentown.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Weather is nicely settled into the 70's, lows gradually moving up into the 50's. Planting the majority of the garden last week and this week. Would have planted it all last week, but bout with travelers sickness took out a couple of days, and continues to make me weak. Slow and steady has been the course after a wretched Monday and Tuesday of last week.

Am looking forward to planting the remainder of tomato plants plus seeding butter beans and melons. Zuchinni, yellow squash, egg plants, 15 tomato plants, are in the ground. Corn is a couple inches tall, sweet peas growing well. Green beans are in the ground. All of the cool weather crops: arugula, lettuce, turnips, radishes, spinach are growing and producing. It is time for a succession planting of radishes and corn.

Finally got around to setting my main row of tomatoes up on drip irrigation. Will be expanding that transition over the season and probably into next.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Alot of rain yesterday and today. Possible rain until Wednesday but the week-end forcast looks great :clap: mid 70's. Hope so because we need a dry up time. Alot of standing water. I know it could be worse but hoping for better :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

20-30 mile an hour winds; on and off rain; 40's

Not nice... but a lot kinder than what this system doled out down south.

How y'all doin down there? Getting back to normal I hope?

HG

pepper4
Green Thumb

Very windy. Blew my swing over and broke my patio table :x Alot of rain and even some hail or sleet. Definately a stay indoors and scan the forum day :) Better days are coming though towards the end of the week :-() Calling for mid to upper 70's :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

A beautiful day, but a little on the warm side for my 'druthers. :lol: I think it might have hit close to 80º. If the weather holds, tomorrow, I will make a massive effort to kill the dratted filbert tree in my backyard! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I bought my supplies today ... tarp to lie on while I saw the tree off at ground level, disposable paintbrushes to apply the brush killer, heavy black plastic to cover it so no light gets to it. Kill! Kill! Kill! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

In case you're wondering why I hate this beknighted filbert tree (hazelnut tree, to those of you in other geographical areas), a squirrel planted it right beside the trunk one of my beautiful large rhodies. The tree is growing straight up through the shrub, and my poor rhody is dying. :(

If the tree produced nuts, I would let it live, but it appears to be sterile. It's been there for well over 5 years, and not bourn a single filbert. :p

lolitagirl4
Newly Registered

Its night time,dark and gloomy right now not sure what temperture though :]

applestar
Mod

Frost warning tonight. Forecast high of 72ºF tomorrow, :o 83ºF :o Sat, then :shock: 88ºF :shock: on Sunday!

Wah! What happened to SPRING!!!?

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”