faithsmama
Newly Registered

flummoxed by small front bed

okay, I'm having a major block with what to do in our front yard bed. we have a teeny house, thus a teeny yard. right now, there are three small azaleas, fairly evenly spaced, and nothing else. I'd classify it as full shade thanks to the bartlett pear that dominates the teeny front yard and the fact that the only light that side of the house gets is late afternoon.

here's a picture. this was taken around 3:30 CDT on a sunny day, so you see the shadiness.

[img]https://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s47/johnsonkandk/IMG_6176.jpg[/img]

and I live in memphis, so zone 7/8? I'd think more 8 though with our weather...

so anyone have any suggestions on what to do with this space??

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Does the daylily bloom? If it does you may want to introduce more, possibly by division. Periwinkle can become invasive so maybe some ajuga groundcover and mulch the bed so it doesn't look so bare. You may want to clump the azaleas together at some point because right now they look as if they are guarding the house. Visit a local nursery because many state on the labels either say shade or sun. You may want to look at euonymous, Emerald Gaiety" to brighten up the front, its evergreen or even cotoneaster, Rock Spray, since it has red berries in the fall, semi-evergreen. Mulch would help the blandness.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey FM!

Do you like Hosta? Love shade, can take just about anything except slugs (and some do okay there too), lots of cool foliage colors and shapes (from little 2' miniature leaves to mammoth 2' tropical looking things) theyare easy, you can divide in a few years and make more...I love them. Here's a place with 500 varieties...

[url]https://www.hostapatch.com/[/url]

so I now you can find one you like; I was thinking two 'Krossa Regal' between the azaleas (because the dusty blue would look gorgeous on that brick and kind of match the shutter) or better yet 'Regal Splendor' the variegated form...along the bottom you could use more varigated lilyturf like you have around the tree (it's either Liriope or Hakonechloa, which would be good too...) ooh, or Geranium 'Rozeanne' which would be great with the bluish flower (blue just goes with brick; nice call on the shutter color... :D )

[url]https://www.geraniumrozanne.com/#[/url]

HG

faithsmama
Newly Registered

awesome, thanks for the tips!! I haven't managed to do anything except mulch it up and pop in a few little english daisies I got from a friend, so I will def. put these suggestions into use!

and as far as the blue shutters, I'm *really* hoping they won't be blue by the end of the summer! ;) country blue just ain't my thang...lol!

Return to “Landscaping”