texas morningglory
Newly Registered

Looking for info about Reveil Dijonnais rose

Does anyone here grow Reveil Dijonnais

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Is there something specific you are looking for?
VAL

texas morningglory
Newly Registered

Yes, I am interested in this rose. I have only seen pictures. I would like to know of someone who has personal experience with it.

Does it rebloom well, how tall, and wide does it normally grow. Is the color as stunning as it looks in pictures etc......

arkansasrose

That is a pretty obscure rose, not readily available except from a few vendors..wondering what peaked your interest in it?? Mild fragrance, large flowered cl ht, 10-12' tall. No, I don't grow it..in fact, I've never seen it grown..however, it sounds intriguing. First time I've tried a link here..excuse me if I didn't get it right, please.

[url]https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?I=A5199&tab=1[/url]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I have never grown this rose either, nor have I known anyone who has. Arkansasrose is right, it is a very obscure rose because of it's age, although the older roses are coming back.

Reveil Dijonnais is a climbing hybrid tea that was bred by Emmanuel Buatois in France in 1931. It's parentage is Eugen Furst X Constance, and there are twelve roses in it's bloodline. It's semi-double flower is 3.9 inches, and is bright crimson overlaid with bright yellow to blend into orange with a golden yellow centre. The petal backs, and edges are also yellow, and the flowers are borne in clusters of up to five.

This rose has a medium and fruity scent, and some repeat blooms. It is known to grow to 10 feet tall, with leaves that are thick, glossy and bronzy green. It has thick brown stems with short prickles. It is prone to black spot, and does not do well in damp, wet conditions, but is somewhat shade tolerant.

This rose is in the catalogue for sale at the Sequoia Nursery, in Visalia, California under their supplemental rose list. https://www.sequoianursery.biz/index.html

Hope this is of some help and you find what you need! Best of Luck! :wink:
VAL

texas morningglory
Newly Registered

Thanks, I really appreciate everyones help. This is an old rose. Most of the roses I grow are, also on their own roots. I think I will order it , and give it a try. I was just hoping someone here would have First hand experience with Reveil. Thanks Again :D

arkansasrose

texas morningglory, maybe you can check with Pat Henry at Roses Unlimited. Since they carry it (or did), she may have grown it in her garden and have some details. I do grow several other old cl.HTs (Lady Waterlow, Aloha, etc) and love them! Please remember to let us know how it does for you..

texas morningglory
Newly Registered

Thank you Arkansasrose I will try asking Pat about it. I have bought quite a few of my roses from them. I have always had good results with their roses. I see you have Spanish Rhapsody another of the roses I am currently researching. I have a number of the Buck roses, and I love the ones I have. I'm still looking at your pictures. Beautiful. :D

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks for you help Arkansasrose! What zone are you in? :wink:
VAL

arkansasrose

Val, I have this passion for old roses, actually any roses but the history behind the antiques intrigues me. I was just thinking this morning about the fact that we are in a climate that allows us to grow a wide range of different roses. Actually, we are listed as Zone 7a but not far north of us (maybe 70 miles) is Zone 6. Our elevation in the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas really puts us more to the Zone 6 winter.

texas morningglory, RU is my first choice for ordering ownroots..always. I love the Bucks in general, too. They take our climate very well.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You are fortunate too, that you have access to quite a few well known reputable rose breeders and carriers, who are able to get these special roses.
Unfortunately, living in Northern British Columbia, it is difficult to find special roses from companies willing to ship to Canada because there are so many laws now.

There is one fellow I buy from, who lives 600 miles away, who is a breeder, but is also able to bring some roses in from England. He will not ship his roses though, so I have to arrange with someone going that way to pick them up for me.
Actually, he has written one of the best current books for rose gardening in British Columbia - "Roses for British Columbia" (original I know!) written by Brad Jalbert and published by Lone Pine.

Since British Columbia is the most diverse region of Canada climate wise, it must have been a difficult book to write. British Columbia actually has all nine temperature zones defined by the Canadian Hardiness Map. So it cannot be assumed that because British Columbian's live "up north", that they cannot grow roses in the same climate zone as you! Wierd eh?

Well I really went on didn't I? Oops! I'm sure we'll chat again soon! :wink:
VAL

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

texas morningglory wrote:Does anyone here grow Reveil Dijonnais
I would think that you might find it at one of the rose growers in Tyler, Texas. I know there is an agency there at the Tyler Rose Garden that experiements on roses, and created new types. Someone there might be able to answer some of your questions. Tyler is a fun place to vist if you enjoy roses. When I was there a few months ago, I had an unique oppurtunity to see some of the experimental roses they are growing. Once they are patented the should be on the market in a few years.

texas morningglory
Newly Registered

Thank you Kevinschoppe, I have already ordered the rose. I am at the point in my landscape that try not to make impulse buys. I try to research and be sure of a rose before I buy or plant it. I have lived in the same home, and 1 acre yard for 20 years so my landscape if fairly full.
I don't live too far from Tyler, and have frequently been to Chamblees.

I really appreciate all of the help everyone has given on this board. :)

Return to “Rose Forum”