Sharon Marie

Starting Seeds Indoors

Ok, so the germination time has expired on my seeds. It's been more than 10 days and nothing from only 1 packet of seeds, so I am starting over. I removed the old soil, put new soil in the trays and tomorrow I'm off to buy another packet of seeds. All of my other packets of seeds have germinated, except for the purple coneflowers. ?? Anyhow, the question is this: Is it ok to use miricle grow potting mix to start the seeds in? That is the type of soil I purchased, but now I'm second guessing myself. I've got some rare seeds on order, and I'm going to start those indoors as well, but I want to make sure I'm using the correct stuff before I start the seeds.

JustPeachy

You can buy seed starting mix in most garden centers this time of year. I would suggest trying that. Miracle grow made my seedlings stretch too much at first. It will work but the seedlings really don't need the ferts in the miracle grow mix. Good luck to you!

~Emily

applestar
Mod

Most sources seem to agree that it's best to germinate seeds in unfertilized seed starting mix. There's a split between barren soil mix vs. compost-added mix. Either way, most seedlings except those identified as "does not transplant well" or "does not like roots disturbed" benefit from being moved to a slightly richer mix when a set of true leaves (2nd set of leaves, first being seed leaves) have grown out (Use the seed leaves -- they're expendable -- or cradle the root ball to transplant them -- DON'T hold the stem and don't hold the true leaves).

As for the coneflower, many wildflower seeds require cold stratification (a period of storage in cold -- some in moist environement, others dry). I'm pretty sure purple coneflower is one of them. I've never tried those, but usually, the recommendation is to refrigerate the seeds in moistened sterile medium like sand, vermiculite, or perlite in a zip bag or tightly sealed snap lid container for the recommended period, then plant the seeds.

Another possible reason for seeds not sprouting is that they were planted too deep. Seeds should only be covered by their thickness. Tiny seeds or seeds like lettuce only needs a sprinkling of sand to keep them from being washed away, and, in fact, germinates better in light.

Good luck with your rare seeds! :D

bali

I use Miracle gro soil ......It is soft and what the seeds need to germinate.
Perhaps your sowing too deep?

If you have used up all the seeds,let me know what you need. I might have it .to share.

Good luck

bali

Sharon Marie

bali wrote:I use Miracle gro soil ......It is soft and what the seeds need to germinate.
Perhaps your sowing too deep?

If you have used up all the seeds,let me know what you need. I might have it .to share.

Good luck

bali
I did put all of my seeds in the 'fridge for about 1 week before I started them. I'm not sure what happened with them honestly. I'm pretty sure I didn't plant them too deep. I actually questioned when I was planting that I didn't plant them deep enough. I just barely covered the seeds with soil. It seems strange. I bought two seed starting trays that already had un fertilized soil. One of the trays has done excellent, the other not so well. With both trays, I followed the same instructions. I went ahead and purchased the miracle grow to replace the soil in the trays, and I bought some more purple coneflower and cupids dart seeds. I'm going to plant them tomorrow after work. As for the rare seeds I've got coming in (black beauty dahlia, hollyhock, red stained glass, blue stained glass, white swan echinacea) I purchased a 'pellet' starter tray. The seeds haven't arrived yet, so I'm hoping I can get some feedback on the pellets vs. the soil.
Thanks by the way for the offer on the seeds. I was lucky to find the seeds still at the store. I am very sure I'm going to have lots of extra of the seeds I mentioned above if anyone wants any, please pm me and I will let you know how many I have left etc..
About how long does it take for the 2nd set of leaves to show up? Sorry for all the questions! You guys are so great and helpful!!!

bali

Sounds good.

Maybe the seed are the blame. Like some take longer to germinate than others.
oR it is too soon for some types..
lots of reasons.

b

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

the little seedlings don't need the fertilizer. However, unfertilized potting soil can be hard to find and it's a pain keeping two different kinds around. So I start all my seeds in potting soil with Miracle grow and it doesn't seem to hurt them. They aren't looking stretched out.

Seeds that need cold stratification (as described in earlier reply) usually need more that a week of it. More like at least a month.

Alex6015

I use natural soil from my backyard from where the moles dug because the soil is softer and it worked just fine for me. :wink:

bali

Depends on your location.

Our soil is just starting to thaw.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Sharon Marie,
I did put all of my seeds in the 'fridge for about 1 week before I started them. I'm not sure what happened with them honestly.
If the seeds in question do indeed require a stratification period (chilling) then one week is not sufficient to meet the requirement. I would think some research is in order before you try again. Then again it could just be poor seed, it does happen.
Ok, so the germination time has expired on my seeds. It's been more than 10 days and nothing from only 1 packet of seeds, so I am starting over.
Also, you should be more flexible with germination times, they are guidelines not rules. Seeds will germinate on their own schedule not one predetermined.

Norm

bali

Norm is correct...

I read like 3 months to stratify seeds......
And some are just stubborn and might take a year?
Climate makes a difference.

Sharon Marie

Ok, maybe I should have been more patient. Lesson learned. I did buy another pack of seeds and I now do not have time to put them in the fridge. I am going to try again. I am wondering if anyone has any opinons or suggestions about the seeds I bought. I am going to start those using the pellets. Has anyone used those before? I am excited about them. The pictures look so beautiful.

bali

It is a bit early to start just any seeds inside.
They do start the easiest in april an may.......Mom nature has that timed.

All pellet seeds are , is a way to show where the see is . Some folks like to put them in exact lines an places..

Hold off a while on seeds if you don't have a heated mat or cable .

Sharon Marie

Ok, I am still waiting for the seeds to come in the mail.. and I will definitely wait until april to start them.
My crocus bulbs are blooming now, I thought that it was a bit early, but they are beautiful. I only planted a few bulbs to start my "season of bulbs" area, I wanted to make sure I loved the layout before I add more bulbs. I don't know how to post pictures here, but once my garden blooms in full, I will post some pictures.
As far as the seeds go, the purple coneflowers that are already in the garden, when do they start to show new growth?

bali

Cone flowers wont show for a while yet.. After all the spring stuff for sure..

How to upload photos..

GO to the place called www.photo bucket

Your join that an upload your photos .
Next you

Copy and paste the words below the photos that you upload.

Try it.

Sharon Marie

I used to use photo bucket a long time ago. I will log in there. I've lost the sd card for my camera and I've got to get another one soon! I want to take before and after pictures.

Sharon Marie

Just a follow up. When I bought a new package of purple coneflower, and cupids dart seeds - I bought a different brand. I compared the germination time on both of the packages, and they were completely different. I should have allowed WAY more time on those seeds, not just 10 days. The seeds I just bought to replace the old ones say germination time is 14-21 days! Oh mi, you were right about giving seeds their "time".

Sharon Marie

And, I set my seeds outdoors today just for a bit. It was 70 degrees out. Partly cloudy. After about 1.5 hrs, some of the seeds starts have started to wilt!! I brought them back in right away.. will they bounce back?

Sharon Marie

Well, it's a no go on them bouncing back. They got worse. I started over. I am going to get this down for sure! I'm glad I'm getting practice on the not so hard to get seeds. My dahlias died, so I had plenty more to replant. Lesson learned. I've been reading lots on the web about to do and to don'ts. This forum has been great and I am continuing to learn more and more with every thread I read. :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”