Wright
Newly Registered

Hawaiian Umbrella Tree

I have a number of these in garden planters and would now like to plant them in my garden. What golden rules do I need to follow e.g. how far away from a fence and/or underground pipes? What companion plants/flowers can be planted in the same garden bed? What height do they grow to and can this be controlled? Thanks, Colleen

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

You could probably keep them as high as you wanted to, seeing as they can be used as hedges. If left uncontrolled, though, they will grow to a hight of 12+ feet (4+ meters). When you say Hawaiian Umbrella Tree, do you mean the smaller version (Schefflera arboricola) native to Tiwan or the larger version (Scheflera actinophylla) native to Queensland and surrounding area? Because the larger version can obtain highs of 30+ feet (10+ meters). Either way, one still must be careful about where they plant them, about 30 feet (10 meters) away from foundations and pipelines, as their roots are highly aggressive. I am not sure about what companion plants would work around them, but you could always exeriment there.

Wright
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for that information. I have no idea which ones they are as they were passed onto me by friends who moved interstate, but you have helped me make up my mind - they will continue to stay in their pots!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”