coqui
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm Bonsai in Puerto Rico - The Saga Continues

Hello All:
I am back with a recent picture of my chinese elm tree. It has been around two weeks since I received my elm, some of you might recall it did not have any leaves back then. Time does seem to fly for my elm, since then he has exploded with new foliage. As soon as I saw this process start I bought it some fertilizer 14-14-14. And overall it seems to be handling the Puerto Rico climate well enouph. I say overall becuase as you may see there are some of the new leaves turning yellow. Based on what I have learned it seems like I might be over watering. Yes I have done some of the no, no's, that I have read about like watering every other day and not really checking if it is dry. Any one want to second my opinion in regards to the over watering scenario? Just write back and say "I told you so!". Other than that it seems like my elm is doing ok. Thanks for your input on this issue, have in mind I will keep an open eye on your remarks since I really want to learn how to keep little old elmo shiny green.

Wow what a diference just take a look at my original post:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12030&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

[img]https://divorciadosonline.com/images/myelm-2.jpg[/img]

these yellow leaves do not seem normal being that they are around a week old: (What is the normal shedding period for elms, any one know?)

[img]https://divorciadosonline.com/images/myelm-3.jpg[/img]

Here he is in all his glory... could use some tips on pruning...

[img]https://divorciadosonline.com/images/myelm-4.jpg[/img]

Thanks

uzeyr

congrats on the spring back of ur bonsai it looks a lot better
but I can see the leaves are yellowing I'm really sorry to say this but the problem that probably caused teh first leaf fall is still there I think it might be below the bonsai have u checked the roots maybe the guy is bot bound coz at the garden centre one of teh bonsai tenders said that was wat was wrong with mine just check to be sure then u can start pruning :D fun :D

the good thing about elms is this ability to spring back to life :D they like giving people second chances :o

coqui
Newly Registered

uzeyr there really was no problem originaly when my elm had no leaves. I had just received from the states and it had been hybernating. It had caught me off guard since I had expected to receive a fully leafed tree. So the tree was in great condition actualy when I received even with no leaves. Now the yellow leaves, that problably has something to do with my care of the tree. It could be as you say "bot bound", but that would be really scary being that this is my first bonsai and I was expecting not to go into any major bonsai techniques right away (like pruning the roots! woof that sounds scary!. I'm just hoping it's a water issue, that said if it is bot bound I have to figure out the best time to get it out of the pot and work on it. Thanks.
Last edited by coqui on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

coqui,

I suspect that you have correctly recognized the problem to be watering too frequently.
Yes I have done some of the no, no's, that I have read about like watering every other day and not really checking if it is dry.
Watering on a schedule is one of the cardinal sins of bonsai. Perhaps the moss is making it more difficult to judge the soil. Try the 'chopstick method' it works pretty well and will help to get you attuned to the rhythm of this particular tree.

Insert a wooden skewer or thin dowel rod into the soil about halfway between the trunk and the rim of the pot. Every day remove the skewer and hold it to underside of your wrist, or even your cheek, if the skewer is still moist so is the soil and hence no need to water that day.

Norm

uzeyr

lol sorry I though it came in leaf then it lost all its leaves guess I should double check before :oops: but that is what happend to mine

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

coqui,
I think that it is very interesting to see how a chinese elm will fair in the tropics. I always thought they were a temperate/subtropical plant, not something one would grow in USDA hardiness zone 12! If you can, keep us posted on how well it does there.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

On pruning, pinch back any new growth to within one or two leaves once there are 6-8 leaves during periods of active growth. Don't perform any major pruning until the end of the growing season... although in PR this may be difficult... or until right before the next growing season.

coqui
Newly Registered

bonsaiboy wrote:coqui,
I think that it is very interesting to see how a chinese elm will fair in the tropics. I always thought they were a temperate/subtropical plant, not something one would grow in USDA hardiness zone 12! If you can, keep us posted on how well it does there.
Seems like it will be a big diference since it is nice and warm here all year round. It seems to me the elm might not hibernate since it never gets cold. I have read that could be a problem since it needs this hibernation time or so I have read. Does any one know for sure if this will be a problem for my elm?

kdodds thanks for the tips it is something I will need to do soon. I was wondering if I could only buy two tools for my bonsai caring needs, which ones would these be. I am kinda low in my budget for tools and I am only willing to invest in what is really needed. I will not be training my bonsai other than cutting its leaves and some branches.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”