njrebo
Newly Registered

Looking for a good source for perennials

perennial seed source. I'm pretty new to gardening and would like to start some perennials by seed over the winter. Any suggestions??
Thanks
NJ

minnesota_girl

For seed I use: park seed, prairie moon nursery, and a couple others I can't think of. Prairie moon nursery is located in MN but I think they deliver to the 48 states excluding hawaii and alaska.

www.parkseed.com
www.prairiemoonnursery.com

DefiningYourHome
Newly Registered

I decided to order from Swallowtail Garden Seeds and Diane's Seeds.

I just placed my order last night, so I don't have any more feedback for you. Both have good selections. Another one that is interesting is a UK company, Thompson & Morgan (TM Seeds).

Hope this helps,
Cameron

njrebo
Newly Registered

thanks for the help. I need to take sometime and look at these sites. I have heard that if you plant from seeds they usually don't flower the first year, is it true??
NJ

minnesota_girl

Not always. I grew dahlias from seed this year and they are blooming, and I didn't grow them under a light or anything. I planted them in a container in May and in a couple of months they were blooming. It depends on when you start them. If you want a bloom for sure try in March or Apirl. But if decide to start them this early you probably need to start them inside. Now if your starting them indoors, there are a few things to consider. Often seeds need light to grow, so a window might do, or you could spend extra cash on a grow light to make sure they have plenty of light.

I have seen many seed starters, but I say who needs a $30 starter kit. Buy some poting soil. Throw it in some old nursery pots and start your seeds in there. I have even used egg cartons and milk jugs with the top cut off. Sure these starter kits can be nice but I am too cheap to buy them when I have so many left over pots. Too help keep moisture in put some plastic over the top. Water regularly and then your seeds should reward you with blooms in a few months.

njrebo
Newly Registered

Thanks minnesota girl, that's what I was thinking. I have lots of pots and jugs so I'm gonna try it. I probably won't start planting till March and I have a couple windows that get good light..wish me luck.
NJ

minnesota_girl

wish me luck.
The best of luck! Hope everything goes like you want it too. When your seeds bloom post some pics.

carex
Newly Registered

I have some if I have what you want. Let me know what you need and I might can supply some of them.

bali

I am western Penna also.
Been doing lots of perennial seed sowing .. All sorts of lily seeds the past spring an fall.

Start some inside about april and they go snakey
Will check my supply and see if I have others .. I planted all the lilys.

Ps
What part town are you in Penna?
I am close to Johnstown, Somerset.

Zofiava

I'm in Pittsburgh, my cousins lived in Somerset for a while!

I am new to this, but I am trying to research all I can to have a successful garden in my new home! Is there anything I should be starting, even though it's January?

bali

You cant start anything yet in this zone 5......

However you can go thru gardening pages on here and see what type of designs and plants to use.

One thing to consider at starting, is tall plants behind and short ones in front.

Lots of folks just start with Marigolds.. Easy and bloom all summer.

njrebo
Newly Registered

Hi Bali
I'm near Indiana PA not too far from you.

I am hoping to start some plants from seed, when is a good time to start them?

Thanks
Jayne

bali

Hi Jayne,

I been to Indiana lots of times.......Farm store and the Mall.LOL

Well it is plenty early for seeds here. But I do have a heating cable and have germinated half dozen peppers so far.. They take long to grow, so I start them in February.

They don't get too leggy like tomatoes .
But I did put in a few tomatoes yesterday..

Beginning of April is more favorable for inside seeds.
What are you growing?
barb

Grey
Greener Thumb

njrebo wrote:thanks for the help. I need to take sometime and look at these sites. I have heard that if you plant from seeds they usually don't flower the first year, is it true??
NJ
It depends on the plant. Black Eyed Susans do take two years for blooms, for instance, while I've had several varieties of echinacia (tennesseensis, purpurea, etc) that bloomed the first year.

bali

Most Bulbs bloom first year.

Maltese cross I think first year.. I have perennial seeds I think . If your hunting.

ipesta
Newly Registered

They can be more pricy but their product is first rate. I ordered a beautiful Aster last year, 5 feet high the first year!

bali

That sounds great.

DId you save seeds from it /

b

ipesta
Newly Registered

Actually I got a small live plant - didnt realize until I posted that you were looking for seeds.

bali

No problem, just wondered if you saved any>.

Thanks for the response

barb

Return to “Perennials”