terrysangel
Newly Registered

Can Green Beans Matured to Brown be Eaten?

Hi, Can anyone tell me what the bean inside the pod is called when you let the green bean mature to a large brown speckled bean?

Also, are you suppose to eat the actual brown bean when they mature to this point?

My green beans matured to this last season when I got behind with my garden and they looked just like the seed you plant to grow the green beans! Can you cook/eat them like a pinto bean at this stage of maturity?
Thank You,
Angela

2cents
Green Thumb

There are so many different types of beans and variations that it is hard to tell what type you are referring to. A picture would help. There are several varieties of pinto beans.
If it is a round bean, what it sounds like you are describing is a pinto bean. The pinto or cowboy bean has a speckled or mottled appearance when dried. The pinto makes a good green bean and of course is an excellent dry bean.
These typically have a high regermination rate.

terrysangel
Newly Registered

My green beans were "Kentucky Wonder Bush Stringless" does that help?
Thanks...............Angela

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can dry and eat the Kentucky Wonder pole beans, but I'm not sure about the bush beans. You could always try it and see. I don't think you would be harmed by eating them, but they might lack flavor. I just don't know. :)

Jbest

The KW pole beans will make the best ham and bean soup you have ever tasted. :wink:

John

2cents
Green Thumb

Angela,
I grow several types of beans each year. Most years I've got some that go to seed, and left dry on the vine/bush. Most years there is a mix that will make a couple cups upto a gallon of dry beans and peas.
The sweet little lady in my kitchen has thrown a variety in soup and called it 3-4-5-6 or even 7 bean soup. With the added ham bone and onion it tastes just like store bought bean soup mix.
Try them for burritos, I don't think you be dissatisfied.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”