sixshooter

Michigan and Zone 5 Veg Gardening Thread

Heres a thread to talk about the upcoming gardening season.

I think I'm going to put my seeds in dirt to germinate this weekend. Thats not too early is it?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Is the dirt in small containers indoors, or in the ground outside?

That would make a big difference.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I'm supposed to start kale in 2 weeks, but I'm scared! It's so cold out still! :o

rootsy
Green Thumb

rule of thumb is in the ground right around the 3rd week of May for most items that won't tolerate the cold without protection. Peas, Broccoli, etc can go in much earlier in April.

I generally try to get sweet corn in the ground 1st week of May so that I can beat the supermarkets... Depending upon weather and ground temperature it can be iffy... Last year I had to replant.

You have to pay attention to night time temperatures and windchill for plants put in the ground any earlier than mid May. Be prepared to cover plants planted prior to that.

Get yourself milk jugs and white gallon bleach bottles and cut the bottoms off. Place them over your plants for protection and to provide a green house environment for your plant in the early going.

If you have any Amish near by... keep an eye on them if you are unsure of when to get going...

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

If you're direct-sowing seeds outside, I think it's too cold now for anything. The top layer of soil may be thawed, but down where the roots are going it's still frozen. Besides, working cold, soggy soil destroys the structure and disturbs beneficial microorganisms that are hibernating right now. If you're starting seeds indoors, depending on what you're starting, it's probably not too soon.

One more thought on the outdoor bed. Depending on how it's sited, you may be able to plant earlier or have to wait a little longer to plant. I.e.: if the bed is facing south or west sun exposure, or full sun, or is raised, it can be planted earlier. If it's at the bottom of a slope, or in partial shade, or facing only eastern sun, then later, and depending on the amount of sun it gets during the day, you may be limited as to what will give good yield there.

sixshooter

I was just going to start my pepper and tomato seeds indoors, but I thinkit might be too early. I keep hearing 6 to 8 weeks before planting.

Thank you for the bit about the milk jugs! I'm going to use that! gonna need to drink alot!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

SixShooter wrote:
Thank you for the bit about the milk jugs! I'm going to use that! gonna need to drink alot!
Or you can put the word out to your friends and neighbors plus people on FreeCycle who might give them to you as well.

Happy milk-jug collecting!

Cynthia

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Think of it this way: it'll help stave off osteoporosis! :lol:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”