Henryj

Ok to Grow Potatos in Plastic Buckets?

Hello I need some help!! I want to grow potatos in containers I have been told to use buckets made of plastic Also what will be a good product name ?
I live in zone 6 If you guys can give me a hand will for ever in your debt
Henryj

pd

Henryj, I can only say what I have used to container grow potatoes here in the UK.
I. black plastic sacks/bags - these are fine but a little ungainly when it comes to gradually adding more compost as the tops grow
2. Plastic dust bins. These were everywhere before the 'wheely bins' came into use and are about 60cm diameter by 100 cm tall.
Almost any container may be utilised that is of reasonable size bearing in mind that compost has to be placed beneath the seed potatoes and also to be added as the potato tops grow. Whatever you use be sure that the drainage is good. Place some rubble over plenty of holes in the base and stand rigid containers on 3 bricks just to raise them off the ground. If you use plastic bags/sacks puncture the base and be very careful not to overwater.
Being in the UK I can't of course suggest a product name.

planterlady
Newly Registered

Hi I would look for the most durable, lightweight and maintenance. It is definitely worthwhile to invest in good containers - they will last years and years.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's a book which takes container gardening seriously:

The Bountiful Container, by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey. It provides minimum soil depths & ideal container sizes for veggies/herbs/some fruit shrubs, vines, dwarf trees; sun requirements; discussion of different soils for different container crops--it's great!

We have very limited growing space in the ground (I *finally* have 96 or so square feet under cultivation) and so use many containers as well. This book really helped me w/my tomatoes last season, and I hope it will help me with other crops this year. (I only found the book in July/August or so.)

Happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

planterlady
Newly Registered

Yes, that is a wonderful book and one I highly recommend - it has been around for a while, however, the information is great and so relevant. Now everyone can be a gardener - you have just proved that you don't need acres of land. Just a few great containers. Thanks for the book reference.

Henryj

Thank you for the book title I have not found it in our book store but I will find it. I was told to set the containers on blocks or any thing to keep them off the ground, Now The next question!! what should the soil mix be?As you can see I am a newbe so Thanks for all your help.
Henryj

pd

Ordinary fertile garden soil with added garden compost or well rotted cow manure will be fine. Also add a balanced granular fertiliser or, preferably one with a slightly higher phosphate content, say a ratio of 1-2-1 NPK.
If you have to use heavy loam add some grit sand to aid swift drainage.
Fill your container to about 40cm from the top, stir in the fertiliser (a good handful per container will suffice, place your tubers and then cover with around 12cm of the soil mix, keeping some back to add a couple of times as the stems grow, eventually leaving around 7cm at the rim for watering.
If you are planting first earlies and the containers are exposed have some hessian or old carpeting handy to cover in the likely event of hard frost.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”