NH_FarmGirl
Newly Registered

Veggie Garden Planning Software

I've been looking for software to help me plan the layout of my garden this year - and can't find anything. I want to be able to design my beds, and also was hoping to see notes about companion planting, time to harvest, etc - and can't find anything online. Any suggestions? The downloads I've found don't really have that much information and seem to be more focused on design details (buildings, ponds, etc) vs plant combo's and bed sizing - thank you!

LJ0913

Same here. I found one bit of software for the Mac, but it was more drafting, not really a database type of software which is what I am looking for.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm...my suggestion is really low tech, but I used it for the 2008 growing season and it worked very well.

Graph paper (1/4-inch grid or 5 to the inch) and pencil. Get a GOOD, large eraser.

Measure your plots. One sheet of graph paper per plot. Write down each plot's scale on its particular sheet of graph paper (esp. good if you're planting a smaller area of X and Y than other veggies).

Maybe this will help.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

LJ0913

Hello Cynthia,

Thank you for the tip. I like it! I'll give it a go.

(This is my first time building / creating a garden. I am building it on a hillside and it's been interesting. I am finishing up the raised garden boxes this weekend and look forward to planting soon.)

Best,
Larry

Jbest

Graphic packages that include a database, usually not very intuitive. Check out Google Sketch Up, It is nice 3D graphic and a free download. Here are two links where I have used it.

John

https://www.jbest123.thegardenjournals.org/?p=118

https://www.jbest123.thegardenjournals.org/?p=114

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”