CharlieK

small, cheap composting

Since Rot told us about paving stones under the compost pile, I have wanted to do it and did it today. I had my bin in the same area but the ground was just a tad too low and it retained more water than I liked. The sodden compost also drowned my worms. I laid these one foot cement stones I got from Lowe's for $1.16 US. The area is 8' X 10'. Every week, I pull the fencing off the top and lay it on the other side of the pad. I then turn with my pitchfork and restack. I left 1/4" spaces between the stones. These spaces will fill with compost and allow a path for the worms! Thanks for all the ideas, guys and Rot! :D Any ideas for improvements?

[img]https://www.charlieandpeggy.com/compost.jpg[/img]

rot
Greener Thumb

I discovered the paver thing quite by accident. The pavers were in an unused space when we moved in. I was surprised that worms had moved in so easily to my bins there because the spacing between the pavers are tight.

Keeping the bin elevated over sodden ground sounds like another good reason to with the pavers.

I'm sure you will be pleased with the results. I managed to move three bins about in a similar space. It's like one of those games where you slide the tiles around with one pen space and if you do it right it makes a picture.

Good luck with your bio-remediation. I'm forwarding your toos link to a friend.

2cents
Green Thumb

I had not thought of this. There are tons of tree roots in my slow compost piles near the bottom of the piles. This will make things a little easier when purging and digging up to put in the garden. This also looks a little cleaner process. Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming

CharlieK

Thank you. I am very pleased so far but I will say one thing about it. I did it in a day but it requires handling those 80 five pound stones three times each. If you are not in good shape or old, like me, don't get carried away. I sure felt it the next day. :shock:

Return to “Composting Forum”