JAD
Newly Registered

Time to plant grass?

Hi there, I'm located on the front range of Northern Colorado and need to get moving on my backyard before winter sets in. I was planning on fencing off a section of the yard, (have to keep the pooches out) and overseeding. Any reason why I shouldn't do this now?

Thanks for any suggestions.

JAD

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No reason at all. Be sure that the seed is kept moist long enough to sprout. Some people try putting clear plastic above the planting to keep moisture in and keep the birds from eating the seed before it sprouts. You still need to water often it though, and take the plastic off as soon as the sprouts appear, or they will burn in the sun. :wink:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

Nope. Actually around here (N. GA) we're told the best time to start a new lawn is around Sept. 1st.

I second Val's advice about the birds. Once the seed is down - you'd never have guessed so many birds could be in your area.

JAD
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'm off to Home Depot :D

JAD

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Not a problem! That's what it's all about! 8)
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Think about something like a PennMulch or pelleted compost to act as a mulch and help protect against drying and birds. It's a little more, but worth it in the long run...

Scott

JAD
Newly Registered

Thought of a couple more questions. The area I'm seeding in is about 25 x 15 and is roughly half covered in weeds. Should I spray those nasty suckers first, then wait to seed weeks later? Or, after tilling the ground, remove the weeds by hand then seed? Also, if I do spray, what would be a good product to use?

Thanks again
JAD

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

NO Spray!!!! Just till your plot, pull the weeds, prepare your plot by raking it off level and compacting it, then sow your grass seed, sprinkling it with a little mulch or compost over top.
Then thoroughly water it, cover it with plastic and weight your plastic so that it doesn't blow away. Check the dampness of the soil every day to ensure that it is staying damp under the plastic, and if not, give it more water.
Once your grass has popped up, remove the plastic so your new tender grass won't get sunburnt.
Don't mow your new grass right away until is has gotten really established as your mower will just pull the new plants right out of the ground.
Then sit back and enjoy! :wink:
VAL

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”