Rikesh

Cactus ID please

can anyone name this cactus please? or just give me the link to the cactus section.
https://learngardening.blogspot.com/2008/10/unknown-plants.html
Thank you

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's a Mammilaria cactus. That is a huge group of cacti, though. It's almost impossible for the average person to identify the specific species from a photo. IMO, a picture of the flowers would be necessary to get even close to naming the exact species.

I have quite a few mammilaria cacti. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps someone else will be able to give you better information. :)

Rikesh

thanks Kisal.
is there a way to trigger blooming?
any general care tips?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have 4 mammilaria that bloom dependably throughout the spring and summer. I have never done anything special to them to encourage blooms. I feed them with a standard plant food in the spring (I used Schultz's this year.) Cacti just bloom when they finally get old enough, I think. I have 3 that haven't bloomed yet. I'm still waiting on them. :)

Other than that, I keep them in a west window, but the window is protected by an awning in the summer. On very hot days, I move them away from the window. (The intense sun coming through the window in the summer can burn them.)

Here is a link to a good page on mammilaria:

https://www.mammillarias.net/

And here is a tiny, not-very-good pic of one of mine. (I was just playing with the camera. :lol: )

[img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/Kisal_photos/100_0136_2.jpg[/img]

Rikesh

ok thanks a lot.
btw, thats a beautiful flower!!!
I think I'll tranplant my cactus outside.
here in mauritius there's no snow, and I already have some cactii and succulent outside.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If I remember correctly, the night temperature for mammillaria shouldn't drop below 65 degrees F. I'm sure you can check it on Google. Also, the soil needs to be sandy for good drainage. If you can provide those growing conditions outdoors in your area, then the cacti will probably love it there. :)

Rikesh

I'll have it outside. the temperature will drop under 65F anyway. I think it won't affect the cactus much...
How do you fertilise them? special cactus fertiliser or a homemade/DIY one?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I just use plant food that I buy at the store. It's 10-15-10, and I mix it with water half-strength. I feed once a month from spring until fall.

Apparently, you can buy special food for cacti, but I've never used it. :)

Rikesh

okay... I'll try to find out about this fertiliser

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”